IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What follows is a discussion/conversation
I had about Guns. We came up with a pretty good idea.

A friend and I came up with a perfect Second Amendment plan. You can own all the guns you want, but anybody who owns a gun can be drafted at any time (no matter what age, sex, or condition), and sent to the front lines of any war we happen to be fighting at the moment, armed only with what they own.

We could call it the Well Regulated Militia Act, and it is the only way to be truly faithful to the intentions of the mostly slave-owning plutocratic Freemason males who wrote the sacred scriptures of our land.

Question:
So if you wanted to buy a shotgun for hunting, you would also buy an assault rifle with maximum killing power in case of being drafted. And then cause the death of professional soldiers by having untrained people mixed with the troops. Or would the draftees go through regular training?
Since we haven't had draftees for years, I can't remember.

Answer:
Yes no training. You wanted more guns... you got'em. If you don;t want to be accidentally shot by an idiot... you know your choice in the matter then. Of course those that actually joined the military would be equipped and trained. Of course also, these front line militia would be in their own separate expeditionary force.

Question on that Answer:
Part of original point was that your plan primarily hoses the people who buy perfectly normal guns for perfectly normal reasons. There are a lot of people out there who's only gun is a Ruger 10/22 that they use for plinking targets and offing the occasional rabid skunk or raccoon. And what about the people who shoot black powder?

Answer to the Question of the Answer:
The statement still stands. You wanted guns... you've got the choice to make. Better buy that secondary Repeating AR-15 for popping off that raccoon or squirrel. Oh and black powder... same thing.

Black powder weapons are the *original* founding father style weapons! They make for the BEST well-regulated militias! Ask George Washington! If we're going to play by 18th century rules about who gets guns, then let's send people to war 18th century style!

A special exception we are going to allow users of BB guns/air rifles to be exempt from the draft for foreign wars, as long as they're registered and go through a 6 month training program and have their names on file with the local FBI. We will then conscript them into a domestic anti-rabid-skunk-and-raccoon militia brigade. We will not cower before the rabid skunk menace. Boomerangs though... free and clear. Go nuts!

If you wanna shoot at things with black powder or smokeless casing... why not something that can shoot back, in a war or "skirmish".

Question:
What about Slingshots?

Old fashioned forked stick ones are OK. "Wrist rockets" will be joining the anti-skunk brigades.

Response from other:
If you want to make a "modest proposal" style suggestion, it should be:
- one that addresses the problem instead of making it worse (eating poor children would alleviate poverty and hunger, whereas you're advocating that everyone who owns any gun acquire the most destructive ones possible, making the problem worse) and
- one that makes your opponents look bad instead of yourselves (eating poor children is the sort of position that the "screw the poor" people could be envisioned holding in private, whereas sending 14-year-olds with Marlin 60s into combat doesn't line up with even the wackiest of NRA proposals).

Answer to response:
Choosing to buy better guns to defend yourself in the big shooting gallery called "war" doesn't really make the problem worse... it just forces people that *REALLY* want a gun to make a choice to defend their country as a mandatory part of a "No Exception" Well Regulated Militia.

So, the person(s) that would be choosing to send out the 14 year old kids with Marlin 60s are the persons that made that choice. You don't get it... responsibility lies in the ... gun owner. The gun owner would be where the responsibility lies, no other. Any issues or problems would be addressable at the gun owner. Far different from the current "I had my gun hidden under my bed" Nellie that disavow and responsibility.

Makes it pretty simple in my view. You want guns... as a gun owner you have the ultimate responsibility for the guns you allow out of your purview or control. If you don't keep you guns locked up properly or a trigger safety lock or some kind of locking chamber sling on them... *YOU* are responsible.

None of this: I keep it by my bedside in holster/drawer for protection at all times. Or I keep my AR-15 in my Closet fully loaded in case ZOMG ZOMBIES attack but I never expected my "saintly teenager" to take it and murder 50 people with my 100 count magazines or tracer rounds.

Yeah... If owners want a gun... they have to *BE* held responsible. Keep you guns in a certified Gun Case/Safe and keep ammo separately in another one. At least keep the triggers locked with safety locks or chamber locks.

Response from other:
I'm not following the connection to sending people to war because they own a gun of any sort. If we take the militia idea seriously, a militia is a mustering of armed citizens to defend, generally to defend a local area. Sending it off defeats the purpose, since the militia members are those who make the day-to-day business of the country move along.

Answer to response:
It's more of an "eat the rich" thing. Like, if Swift had said it's OK to keep the Irish as poor and starving as you want, but they're able to slaughter the children of the rich and eat them. That would be more along these lines. "You can have your cake, but it contains poison. Now how bad do you want that cake?" It's that much better because the poison (military service) is encoded into the 2nd amendment.

Part of our problem is the cost of the Military. We spend more than half our budget on the Military. We also spend more than the next 23 countries with the largest military combined.

So it comes to this, if you want a GUN... you have a 100% no exception responsibility, being a cripple or a 14 year old or a 96 year old... you get to do defend your country or do its bidding to ensure your right to own that gun.

Its simple, Gun Ownership you are choosing voluntary conscription. If you want a gun, you also have additional responsibility to keep your guns in an Armory, in Safes, Locked up properly and/or disabled and not re-enable-able without the proper unlocking mechanism. If you lose a gun, you are additionally responsible for any crimes committed with that gun you lost.

The whole point here is to weed those out that just want guns without any responsibility. Without very steep requirements, it won't deter the Mom's buying guns for their kids to use "constructively" and lets them go off on their own.

If you don't quite get this, I can understand, it is something that many struggle with.

It is especially the "EYE NO M'EYE WRITES!" people that don't really understand the rights they "know" have been fought for in wars and skirmishes and really have a *SERIOUS* cost. They need to be reminded and continuously told and shown.

The objection that "militias" are only only for defense is irrelevant, because foreign wars are conducted by the Defense Department, and therefore every invasion and occupation we are undertaking is technically "defense." And you know, if the gun nuts all die horribly in a foreign land, I'm sure we'll find somebody else to "make the day to day business of the country move along."

Question:
Can I have a flail or other similar style weapons?

Answer:
Only if you are a licensed grain-thresher.

Statement:
I want a rail gun, then.

Answer:
You get to buy a BOAT the size of a battleship then.

Statement/request:
I want my BB gun exempted as there is doubt it would fell a squirrel.

Answer: No Exemptions.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New :-)
New What makes you smile...
specifically?

As I'm really trying to push this in a few circles. (You know which ones)
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New It just sounds like something out of Monty Python.
I see the logic of it, based on my understanding of the intent of the Framers at the time. But it's just so weird to see things like this argued out loud. It's nothing in particular.

I imagine 80 year old women sweeping the ground in front of them as they lead some M1 tanks into battle...

I just hope they don't have these 0.500 derringers... http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=sJv9VuXyjyQ

:-/

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Speaking of guns on YouTube...
YouTube Gun Channel Founder Shot Dead - http://www.boomantri...3/1/10/85351/3553

:-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New I posted that link...
So my good buddies on the MC forums could share and grieve...

One comment from me:

Its a shame such a person was killed by gunshot.

within 3 minutes I got 12 replies about "CRAP" or "You are an Ass for posting this" or some such.

Its amazing at how they are panicking, now that a KNOWN GUN aficiando and skilled at this was shot at effectively point blank range. Many their arguments FAIL on so many levels now.

What say you, fussy-britches?
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New 'A half-BILLION views' ... .... .....
by ... how-many? ... thousands or millions? whose heads are deeply immersed in this fantasy world of Blowing Things Up, for fun & profit.

We already knew 'we' were doomed; only question was Which? Exit Strategy would 'win'.
Were there some Earth-threatening asteroid or the countless child-man-caused apocalypses, playing out
--Murica is NOT where one would wish to hang out, awaiting The Big Show.
(Me? I'd try for a tramp steamer to Old Blighty; hang out with the folks going back to the Underground, just like during The Blitz).

Ya gets a few extra seconds before the blast-wave hits + some radiation protection from the usual (and earliest) shower of gammas and such.
New Nit
... sending 14-year-olds with Marlin 60s into combat doesn't line up with even the wackiest of NRA proposals.

http://www.nationalr...ers-nro-symposium
Think of what Sandy Hook might have been like if a couple of male teachers who had played high-school football, or even some of the huskier 12-year-old boys, had converged on Lanza.

No, it's not the NRA. So?
--

Drew
New Re: Nit
True we didn't address that.

Not much I can do now, the person no longer responds on the forum.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New sure no problem as long as we restrict amendment one
to shouting thru cupped hands and pressed type as used in 1776 printing presses. The rest of you shut up or go to jail
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New No. Only enhance the 2nd amendment Enforcement.
Box, if you want GUNs... you get to go serve in the Citizenship Militia and go to a current war zone and defend you country.

Period. None of this "Yeah But"

Period. Even if you are a Crippled Blind Amputee with a only a brain stem. If you choose you want a gun... you are conscripted.

It works for other countries.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New nope you cant destroy one just because
kill them all and become a shining bastion of wtf like china and russia. We already know that you like to be controlled by your betters, some of us are not as compliant
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New Ummm... Its enhancing the 2nd amendment only.
Its not attached to the first amendment. Unless there is some magical linking nobody except you are aware of.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New sure greg, if you say so
New That's the key:
The whole point here is to weed those out that just want guns without any responsibility. Without very steep requirements, it won't deter the Mom's buying guns for their kids to use "constructively" and lets them go off on their own.

Although I am reminded of Starship Troopers: citizenship is required for a numnber of things, including voting. But to become a citizen you need to have done military service...

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Though...
Heinlein was writing a parody of the Fascist governments...
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Er, no he wasn't
The Federation is not terribly fascist, for one thing, and the book is definitely not a parody from his point of view.

Heinlein was very much in favor of the military and quite the Libertarian as well.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New He was quite serious
But it didn't require military service.

In fact, (according to the book) most people who wanted to serve were NOT pulled into the military but were send to work on (extremely dangerous) terraforming projects or with field trials of other things.

Oh, and they HAD to accept anyone who applied - they might not get into the military, but they'd find SOMETHING for you to do.

I suspect that Heinlein's point was that some people scorned citizenship because it had no value to them...they simply received it without ever having to "earn" it.
New Re: What follows is a discussion/conversation
A friend and I came up with a perfect Second Amendment plan. You can own all the guns you want, but anybody who owns a gun can be drafted at any time (no matter what age, sex, or condition), and sent to the front lines of any war we happen to be fighting at the moment, armed only with what they own.

We could call it the Well Regulated Militia Act, and it is the only way to be truly faithful to the intentions of the mostly slave-owning plutocratic Freemason males who wrote the sacred scriptures of our land.

I suspect you're trying to stir up trouble.

That said, 2 things:

1) If we look at the Militia Act of 1792:
It conscripted every "free able-bodied white male citizen" between the ages of 18 and 45 into a local militia company. Militia members were to arm themselves with a musket, bayonet and belt, two spare flints, a cartridge box with 24 bullets, and a knapsack. Men owning rifles were required to provide a powder horn, 1/4 pound of gun powder, 20 rifle balls, a shooting pouch, and a knapsack.

(It was made permanent(*) by the Militia Act of 1795.)
(This is a fun one for people who complaining about the Government forcing them to buy health insurance)

2) However, the act was overridden by the Militia Act of 1903.

(See, you don't have to go and buy a gun anymore.)

And the Militia Act of 1903 appears to still be in effect. (http://www.law.corne...scode/text/10/311)

And it states:
The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

So, if they're male and under 45...there is a good chance they're already part of the unorganized militia.
     What follows is a discussion/conversation - (folkert) - (18)
         :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (5)
             What makes you smile... - (folkert) - (4)
                 It just sounds like something out of Monty Python. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     Speaking of guns on YouTube... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         I posted that link... - (folkert) - (1)
                             'A half-BILLION views' ... .... ..... - (Ashton)
         Nit - (drook) - (1)
             Re: Nit - (folkert)
         sure no problem as long as we restrict amendment one - (boxley) - (4)
             No. Only enhance the 2nd amendment Enforcement. - (folkert) - (3)
                 nope you cant destroy one just because - (boxley) - (2)
                     Ummm... Its enhancing the 2nd amendment only. - (folkert) - (1)
                         sure greg, if you say so -NT - (boxley)
         That's the key: - (static) - (3)
             Though... - (folkert) - (2)
                 Er, no he wasn't - (malraux) - (1)
                     He was quite serious - (S1mon_Jester)
         Re: What follows is a discussion/conversation - (S1mon_Jester)

Hail Eris.
229 ms