I like it, but haven't done much with it so far. I'm using it to get data off a NTFS partition that was mangled recently. Winders 7 can't see anything on the partition, but Linux has no trouble with it.

I only have a couple of criticisms thus far.

1) There doesn't seem to be any (hack-free) way to adjust the number of lines a browser window (or anything else) scrolls via a mouse-wheel increment. I like "screen at at time" and the only motion available seems to be "3-lines at a time".

2) a) The Thunar file manager is nice and clean, but it doesn't give a moving progress indicator when it does things like get a list of files to copy. One doesn't know whether one is going to be waiting a few minutes or a few hours for large lists.

b) Thunar defaults to using a "Trash" like directory when files are deleted. It's not obvious which "Trash" directory is used when files are deleted on a mounted drive - the Mint partition? The remote drive? Both? Yesterday I was attempting make space for GBs of files by deletion and ended up getting in a pathological situation where I filled the drive. Other users have complained on other distributions that there were issues with Thunar and NTFS partitions, sometimes related to Permissions, but that seems to have been fixed by now. The popup error box isn't descriptive enough to know what to do. (Shift-delete apparently bypasses the Trash directory.)

3) Just after the first bootup after installation, there was a notification about non-free drivers. I didn't have a chance to read it before it disappeared. Where did it go? I looked in the package manager sources and non-free repositories seem to be selected, but I haven't been able to easily determine whether any are used (e.g. for the video card).

I've resolved #2 by using File Commander/L. If you remember Norton Commander for DOS, imagine it done right, with lots of updates over time, but without the "kitchen-sink-itis" that so many NC clones have added. http://silk.apana.org.au/fclftp.html Muscle Memory is wonderful thing. (I've been using FC since version 0.16 or so on OS/2 and for many years on Winders and feel lost without it.) MC is an unusable mess in my hands, but FC/L is like an old friend.

Cheers,
Scott.