IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Don't assume Win7 is like XP when it comes to partitioning.
So, of course, I had to reinstall. :-(

Win7 boots by having a separate partition with the boot loader, etc. Something apparently got mangled along the way during my partition shrinking and dd adventures, and Win7 refused to boot no matter what I did.

Linux saw the contents of the partition just fine, but Win7 would show the OS partition as being blank. I spent a few hours with pointers from Terabyte Unlimited's web page, messed around with BootItBM (a very nice tool) on a bootable USB stick, and ran the Win7 repair from the original Dell install DVD, but nothing worked. BootItBM said to run scandisk or chkdsk /f from Winders.... :-/

So, I finally punted and installed the M4 in the laptop and installed Win7 on the 450+GB partition.

It went fine. Took forever though (including 135 updates of the OS).

I had 28 GB unpartitioned at the end of the M4 disk, so tonight I installed Linux Mint 13 (LTS) Xfce 64-bit on it. There were a couple of minor glitches, but it installed fine. It's a very nice, clean, distribution.

And of course, it sees the NTFS partition on the original 750GB drive in the USB interface just fine.

So, I'm copying stuff over from the old NTFS partition via a USB interface onto the M4 while Mint is booted. Tomorrow I will reinstall the Winders software I use most, and worry about the other stuff later.

I think I'll check at work to see if they'd be upset if I used Mint as my OS and ran Win7 in a VM. This Winders stuff is a nightmare that continues to get worse... :-/ (You can party now, Greg. ;-)

I hope this helps someone else out there.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Twas only a SMONYTDAYLTBWW
Simple Matter Of Nagging You To Death And You Losing The Battle With Windows.

*I WIN*...

Neener, neener!

I sure wish you hadn't gone through all the stuff I went through which led me to abandon Windows, oh so long ago.

edit:
AS, I Hope you didn't take this wrong... it sucks you had to go through all this. You've taken the first step... I'm happy about that, though!
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
Expand Edited by folkert Jan. 2, 2013, 11:23:11 PM EST
New Been there, done that, burned the book
M's Win7 laptop is pure Win7, and will be forever.
It's not fast enough to do Win in a VM, and I gave up on the dual boot after 3 reinstalls. MS wins, it owns that hardware.
fuckers.
New I didn't have this trouble earlier.
I replaced the ~ 250 GB original disk with a 640 GB Samsung (that started dying a few months later) and a 750 GB Seagate hybrid without incident. In each case, ddrescue or similar was able to clone the installation and I could enlarge the partitions with Gparted without memorable problems.

What apparently killed it this time was shrinking the Win 7 partition to get it to fit on the 512 GB M4. Enlarging the partition was not an issue - shrinking was.

:-/

Since SSDs larger than ~ 500 GB are much more expensive, keeping Win7 partitions safely under that size probably makes sense for the foreseeable future.

Linux Mint and Win7 are playing together pretty nicely so far (separate partitions).

Another gotcha I noticed in the docs for BootItBM is that Win8 apparently will trash the partitions it sets up if FastBoot is turned on. Joy. And there are even more issues if you use UEFI/GPT etc., etc. as the Win8 machines apparently do... E.g. http://www.terabyteu...pic.php?f=2&t=877

It's getting to the point, where [it's] no fun anymore...

Cheers,
Scott.
New It hasn't been fun for years
I'm pretty sure that says more about me than the state of tech, but I wouldn't bet on it.
--

Drew
     ntfsclone to clone to smaller disk. Should I worry? - (Another Scott) - (9)
         It seems to be doing something. The fan is running fast... -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Bah. I hate Windows. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Re: Bah. I hate Windows. - (folkert)
         Clonezilla? *DUH* - (folkert)
         Don't assume Win7 is like XP when it comes to partitioning. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Twas only a SMONYTDAYLTBWW - (folkert)
             Been there, done that, burned the book - (crazy) - (2)
                 I didn't have this trouble earlier. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     It hasn't been fun for years - (drook)

Deep down facial creases!
153 ms