IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Peter's long-ago point is still a good one.
As Peter said, Apple is still making all the money. Until that changes in a meaningful way, Android will have an up-hill climb.

I'm hopeful that Motorola Mobility under Google will do well, but Apple has so much of the supply chain locked up that it's hard to see them having a big piece of the market anytime soon even if they do bring out a killer phone this year.

Tablets are a potential big market for Android, but with low prices comes low profit margins and the difficulty in a big player being created.

The Salon piece was fluff. Without discussion of profit margins, market share by manufacturer or Android version, etc., there's not much actionable information there.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I think the point though...
Is to commiditize (sp?) "smart devices" Phones, TVs, watches, in car functionality... etc.

Apple will never do that, to much money at stake.

Android *will* do that... to much at stake to not do it.

the money isn't really in the devices... its really in the services. Once Android gets a certain amount of penetration in all the spaces, no matter the actual version, I think a significant change will occur shortly after that.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Here's hoping.
New Apple lives off the iphone
Sure, they make money on other things like computers, but the iphone and associated services are the real cash cow.

Google looks at Android costs and revenue as a small piece of their balance sheet, and certainly neveras a primary profit source like Apple.

Apple is a hardware company that primes the market with hardware to sell software and tunes.

Google is a marketing company that works with partners to get them to adopt its platform in order to have a wider reach for its marketing. Sometime the partners are too slow and it has to step in, but it prefers not to.

Google would prefer the phones and software are given away for free if it increases their marketing target audience.

Sometime when you want to follow the money you need to go a bit "wider".
New "The Salon piece was fluff"
The ratio of fluff to substance on Salon has been gradually shifting to the favor of the former. They have a lot more material than they used to, but practically speaking this amounts to more dross to review and discard. I used to scatter gift subscriptions to salon.com rather promiscuously, because I thought it was an undertaking worthy of support and that friends would appreciate it. Today, not so much on either count.

cordially,
New the Salon is now a Lounge?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New Not bad, box. Not bad.
New Umm.. yes. Seems a correlation with the garish RED/red
makeover--that which initially I noted [also to Them], seemed to create lots of web-chatter such that my %cpu-cycles headed ^^ whenever a couple of items were open.
Maybe ameliorated a tad subsequently, but still.. a resource hog.

Agree: more stuff/more signal but more noise-to-signal; fluff it is heading deeper-into :-/
Ah well, InfoWorld began from once doing a decent service ... on down to MS$-lackeys.
Fragile.. the 'Good' corp; do they all have a half-life, then?

Even the proton decays..
     'Android surge shakes Apple' - (Ashton) - (8)
         Peter's long-ago point is still a good one. - (Another Scott) - (7)
             I think the point though... - (folkert) - (2)
                 Here's hoping. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Apple lives off the iphone - (crazy)
             "The Salon piece was fluff" - (rcareaga) - (3)
                 the Salon is now a Lounge? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     Not bad, box. Not bad. -NT - (rcareaga)
                 Umm.. yes. Seems a correlation with the garish RED/red - (Ashton)

Considering that all you're risking is the $15 co-payment, there's no harm in giving him a shot at it.
121 ms