IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Bah. I hate Windows.
It wasn't doing anything. Apparently it was hanging due to a dirty flag issue with the NTFS partition.

Ubuntu on my P7120 laptop can see the Windows 7 NTFS partition just fine.

I downloaded the latest Clonezilla live CD. It craps out when I tell it to clone the Win7 partition, complaining that it is dirty and CHKDSK needs to be run.

Winders can't see it - it thinks the partition is empty. So, the Windows cloning utility I have won't copy it (no drive letter). So, I can't run Winders CHKDSK on it. And I obviously can't boot the original drive any more (since Winders can't see it).

As a nearly-last resort, I booted the Win7 install DVD and went through the Repair options including /NewMBR, etc. It trundles a long time, rebooted once, but didn't fix anything (it continues to try to boot up the Repair stub). It didn't seem to break anything (thankfully).

Booting SysRescCD and running GParted shows the NTFS partition fine. If I tell it to run Chkdsk it trundles a while then says things are Ok.

Trying ddrescue again at the moment. 20 MB/s, trundle, trundle.

If it works, there's still the issue of getting Winders to recognize the partition again. :-/ If it doesn't, I'm not sure what else to do.

Grrr....

I don't want to reinstall Winders because I don't have all of the source disks for the software on the laptop (I inherited it at work from someone who left). And if I did reinstall, I'd want to go to Win7 64-bit (it has 32-bit now) and I'm not sure how one would copy stuff over without reinstalling it.

Grr...

Wish me luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
(No, Greg, Linux on this work machine isn't an option.)
New Re: Bah. I hate Windows.
AS Wrote:
(No, Greg, Linux on this work machine isn't an option.)
So says you...

All of this vacuous playing with Windows is exactly why I use it in a VM, anymore. That is *IF* I use Windows at all.

Sorry Dude... I'll take Linux (or even FreeBSD (even with the Security breach)) over Windows *any* day. You can continue to waste hours/days/months/time itself or you can choose to get work done.

In General, use Windows on bare metal if you don't quite care if you will be able to get things done. I won't anymore... not even on an Intel Mac.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
     ntfsclone to clone to smaller disk. Should I worry? - (Another Scott) - (9)
         It seems to be doing something. The fan is running fast... -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Bah. I hate Windows. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Re: Bah. I hate Windows. - (folkert)
         Clonezilla? *DUH* - (folkert)
         Don't assume Win7 is like XP when it comes to partitioning. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Twas only a SMONYTDAYLTBWW - (folkert)
             Been there, done that, burned the book - (crazy) - (2)
                 I didn't have this trouble earlier. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     It hasn't been fun for years - (drook)

Heh -- yeah, I'm well known here for my anarcho-libertarian preference.
78 ms