IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One advantage of Macs is they hold their value pretty well.
Or at least they used to.

It might be worth considering selling your existing one and buying a newer (but not new) one to replace it.

E.g. http://www.everymac....re=all-intel-macs

It's great to not to have to pay for computing boxes, but we all know that eventually the time comes. Holding on to something too long can be more costly than slightly more frequent upgrades.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New That's the problem I have.
This MacPro is worth maybe $400 on the open market, but it's got terabytes of storage, 9G of RAM, and so on. It really is a very nice machine.

Same thing with my 17" original MacBook Pro. I'd keep upgrading it but it maxes out at 2G of RAM, and it won't even run Lion.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Yeah, I know what you mean.
Whenever a new MacBook Pro comes out I look at what used versions of the previous generation is going for at various places. Quite often, the price is only a few hundred less than the new ones.

I think, "Well, it would be foolish to buy the older one when the newer is more future proof."

But, I don't think - "Man, if they can get that much for the used old one, then they're being very smart. Rather than spending $2.5k for a new one every 3-5 years, they spend $500 every year or so and always have the fastest machine and are always up-to-date on the OS."

It's a hassle, moving apps to different machines, etc., but there are hassles the other way too.

Presumably, if Apple keeps updating their iOS devices at increasingly rapidity, they'll want to move to a lease-like subscription model, too. "Join Super AppleCare for a $500 annual subscription and trade in your iOS device every year for the latest similar version, ..." Similarly with their laptops, etc. Lock-in the customers on the hardware side, just as the software houses have tried to do for ages.

The MacPros are a different kettle-of-fish, though, because they're so expensive and so in-frequently updated. :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New I'll probably keep the MacPro for a good while yet
It goes up to 32G of RAM, 4 drive bays, 300 ports of various kinds. I'll just have to shift it from being a front-line development machine to something else eventually.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     More fun with Lion: - (malraux) - (16)
         :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
         Getting scary for us non-Super users.. - (Ashton) - (12)
             OTOH - (pwhysall) - (6)
                 WTF. - (folkert) - (4)
                     Who needs Lightroom... - (scoenye) - (1)
                         I need Lightroom. - (pwhysall)
                     Bah, Webster was just trying to be different. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         HA! - (folkert)
                 I should have backed up, installed, restore - (malraux)
             The computer I want is $5K - (crazy)
             One advantage of Macs is they hold their value pretty well. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 That's the problem I have. - (malraux) - (2)
                     Yeah, I know what you mean. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         I'll probably keep the MacPro for a good while yet - (malraux)
         Update to iTunes today... - (folkert) - (1)
             Lightroom updates are half a gig. - (pwhysall)

Consider the job: to build a structure based on live bone and meat that has to perform under extreme forces in one of the most corrosive environments on the planet. Has to look good too.
76 ms