IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Verizon and the Samsung GSIII may not be so bad...
http://www.androidpo...in-the-next-week/

After putting up the accompanying support documentation yesterday, Verizon just announced that the Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) update for the Galaxy S III will be rolling out within the next week, making it the last of the major carriers to apply it. The update will start pushing to devices tomorrow, December 14th.

The update includes Google Now, expandable notifications, ISIS mobile payment support, an enhanced camera app, and more. You can find the details on the Galaxy S III support page. Oh, and it unlocks the microSIM, so you can use your VZW GS III on any GSM carrier worldwide.

Sounds good.

Dunno if they have lots of garbage apps on this one that can't be uninstalled, though...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Query
How does an OS update determine whether the SIM is network-locked?
New The magic of the US wireless providers. :-/
New More details? I'm confused.
New Verizon in the US is CDMA/LTE.
The Galaxy SIII for Verizon is CDMA/LTE and also has a GSM radio that uses a SIM.

AFAIK, Verizon somehow locks the phones so that the GSM radio can't be used in the US (on AT&T or T-Mobile's networks). But they recently signed an agreement with the FCC in the US when they bought some new spectrum band that they would unlock the GSM radios on the iPhones.

This update apparently unlocks the GSM radio on the GSIII so that it can be used overseas (at least for some GSM networks - they might need an agreement with Verizon and you might need to be on Verizon's international roaming plan, I dunno).

Verizon was notorious for years in locking their phones so that you would have to do things like buy ringtones from them if you wanted to change it on your phone. They seem to be doing less of that now, but one still needs to be careful.

http://www.pocketabl...e-bootloader.html

As great as it would be if Verizon had reversed their policy on locked bootloaders, that is not the case. Instead, the episode boils down to some confusion about the meaning of “unlocked.” What the Verizon representatives in the email and chat were referring to is not an update that will unlock the bootloader, but instead an update that will unlock the global GSM roaming capability built into the Galaxy SIII. With unlocked GSM roaming, users will be able to put a SIM card into the Verizon SIII and use it on most GSM carriers worldwide. It certainly isn’t the same as an unlocked bootloader, but it isn’t a bad update either.

Although it may disappoint those who were looking for an unlocked bootloader, unlocked GSM roaming is a nice feature to have, especially on a CDMA Verizon smartphone. Of course, it will be of little consolation to those with the SIII who wanted an unlocked bootloader, but it is a nice feature for those looking at the device. Going back to the communication error, this incident shows that rumors may not always be true, even when supposedly confirmed by employees or leaked documents. It also highlights the confusion over what “unlocked” actually means with regards to smartphones, but that is another topic entirely.

HTH a little.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Ah, I see
I thought it meant that if you had a GSM GSIII with a Verizon-locked SIM card, upgrading to a new version of Android would somehow unlock it.

What they're actually doing is just turning on the GSM bit.

>nogs<
New The US learnt from GSM rollouts elsewhere.
And decided to charge for every little thing they could get away with, mostly the things people used a lot elsewhere in the world with a GSM device. That's why they charge for *receiving* SMSs. And data-sharing. And moving files on and off your phone.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Driver support included or not.
They do that kind of thing.

Locking features by not including the support for them.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Openness is a two edged thing, it seems.
Can't you just root the thing to get around such nonsense?
New Yep.
In fact you could just image the damned thing with a "Google" image for the device and be done with the whole Verizon crap.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New got the jelly bean update today :-)
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New Still waiting (on ATT)
--

Drew
New Re: Still waiting (on ATT)
ATT got like 2 weeks ago
go here
http://forums.att.co...able/td-p/3372677

or
http://www.samsung.c...0358&fm_seq=55362
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
New Ahh, not over the air
I just have a charger at work. The USB at home is connected to a laptop that usually runs Linux. I'll boot to Windows this weekend to do the upgrade. Thanks for the pointer.
--

Drew
New Re: Ahh, not over the air
Have you try going to setting /about phone /check for updates
that what I did to get jelly bean
New Reports "Current software is up to date"
And no, I hadn't tried that yet.
--

Drew
New I've had "Jelly Bean" for Ages already.
Probably 10-11 weeks ago.

So sorry.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Rub it in.
;-)

Have you tried the LTE hack? Any luck in your area?

Cheers,
Scott.
New Ummm...
The phone is an LTE phone already. Does CDMA also.

This probably explains why Drook didn't have the option to select between them.

Unless I'm missing something. If I am, please point me in the right direction.

Edit:
It also does GSM, since the last "patch" to the System.

The Verizon build of Jelly Bean for the SG Nexus is *very* close stock Android. Only a couple of Add-ons... but no replacements.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
Expand Edited by folkert Dec. 14, 2012, 11:15:49 PM EST
New The antenna is integrated on the main board
According to their docs, that's why you can't turn one off without turning both off.
--

Drew
New That sucks.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New I thought you were talking about your Nexus 4.
http://forum.xda-dev...ead.php?t=2007943

Cheers,
Scott.
     Verizon and the Samsung GSIII may not be so bad... - (Another Scott) - (21)
         Query - (pwhysall) - (8)
             The magic of the US wireless providers. :-/ -NT - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 More details? I'm confused. -NT - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     Verizon in the US is CDMA/LTE. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Ah, I see - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             The US learnt from GSM rollouts elsewhere. - (static)
             Driver support included or not. - (folkert) - (2)
                 Openness is a two edged thing, it seems. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Yep. - (folkert)
         got the jelly bean update today :-) -NT - (Bman) - (11)
             Still waiting (on ATT) -NT - (drook) - (4)
                 Re: Still waiting (on ATT) - (Bman) - (3)
                     Ahh, not over the air - (drook) - (2)
                         Re: Ahh, not over the air - (Bman) - (1)
                             Reports "Current software is up to date" - (drook)
             I've had "Jelly Bean" for Ages already. - (folkert) - (5)
                 Rub it in. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Ummm... - (folkert) - (3)
                         The antenna is integrated on the main board - (drook) - (1)
                             That sucks. -NT - (folkert)
                         I thought you were talking about your Nexus 4. - (Another Scott)

So anyway...
156 ms