IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You know... I just realized something.
When you said "long-press"... I went: HUH!

I never thought much about it, it just became natural on the phone's UI for me.

On my Desktops/Laptops *I CANNOT STAND* long-press (or any delays built-in like that for that matter) I'm so used to processing things MUCH faster on my full on workstation machines, that any delay is like an eternity for me.

I think you've deduced the extreme problem I have with these "Toy" UIs... (and yes my smartphone is a Toy) Delays in "reactionary times" just annoy the hell out of me.

It actually annoyed the hell out of me on my Treo, until I just got used to it. So when my Droid-X had it... it was ok. Now my Galaxy Nexus, its not even a blip on my radar. Many things changed to "long-press" from a two select function, such as bulk Message management.

Bulk delete of messages on the Droid-X I had to choose the menu and "select multiple" and then check off the conversations and then select from the menu again "delete conversations" and confirm.

Now, I long-press on the conversations and hit the delete icon. Done. (I turned off confirm for it, which wasn't an option before)

So... why do I hate things like "long-press" on my desktop UIs? I expect its that I'm not in reduced functionality mode, because lets be honest, you do not get all the feedback you normally get from the Desktop programs and so on on the Tablet/Phone UIs. Like "filesystem". Evidently "nobody" wants to organize things and just wants it all to be listed or searched for. **

I guess, I'm different than most of the Consumers out there. I have no want for a Tablet... except my phone. And I only use it for critical functions... which does *NOT* include working on Spreadsheets nor Documents.

** We all know how bad Windows is with 65,000 files in a single directory. Even 20,000 files. Why have they not fixed this? Its still that bad. This whole hide the filesystem from the user might be good if it had a decent filesystem underneath. Linux (and *NIX) isn't much better, but at least most implementations don't choke until a few hundred thousand files in a single directory.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New A note on convergance.
I've been using computers long before mice were even an interesting option. And I've had an Android tablet with a keyboard dock for almost a year.

Using a mouse is a learned behaviour. I still remember people struggling to get to terms with the wrist and finger motions required to use it efficiently. Even now it's not hard to find people who don't know they can even change their mouse's sensitivity. Scrollwheels came about because using a mouse to scroll a window was always slightly awkward.

A touch-screen, OTOH, is much quicker to grasp. Instead of moving a desk rodent or swiping a trackpad to move a virtual pointer, you reach out and tap right on the screen.

Very recently I bought a (not quite current) laptop with a touchscreen. Touching things on the screen is often so much faster than moving a mouse pointer, yet a mouse pointer is still there and still needed for accurate. I like having both but good UI design that can cater for both is still developing. Android does touch well but a mouse pointer is a "virtual touch pointer". Desktop UIs are the other way around.

Microsoft is trying to combine them effectively for the first time in Windows 8. Typically, it's awkward and counter-intuitive and big compromises have been made. But it's Microsoft: They'll either get it good enough in Windows 9 and the industry will align themselves to that, or someone else will beat them to it first and they'll be trailing again.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
     I am a Luddite. - (mmoffitt) - (16)
         did you buy the phone used? - (boxley) - (2)
             No. New from Google. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 they sent you a fake fingernail? -NT - (boxley)
         triple dupe - (boxley)
         triple dupe - (boxley)
         I love manuals for serendipitous discoveries - (crazy)
         You often have to get the manuals online now. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Thank you! ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Slide to the right answer... - (folkert) - (4)
             I know it's supposed to prevent "pocket answering" - (drook) - (3)
                 *THAT* is why I have a Holster. - (folkert) - (2)
                     I hate holsters - (drook) - (1)
                         I should clarify... - (folkert)
         I understand. - (static) - (2)
             You know... I just realized something. - (folkert) - (1)
                 A note on convergance. - (static)

Idle.
47 ms