IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Felix: Why The Daily was doomed.
As some of the comments point out, he confuses intrinsic limitations of the platform with current implementations, but he still makes good points about the present implementations of many tablets and mobile apps.

http://blogs.reuters...ative-journalism/

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who is hoping for the day of tablets with 64GB of persistent RAM and a cheap-enough and fast-enough network connection, and finds his iPad v1 too limiting...)
New good point in the comments
“Every issue of a new publication has to be downloaded in full before it can be opened; this takes a surprisingly long time, even over a pretty fast wifi connection.”
That’s due to the choice of the Daily. If there aren’t that many photos or videos, it can be downloaded pretty quickly. You’re writing off the whole medium because the guy who bought MySpace didn’t understand what would be the best way to deliver the news on a tablet.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New Everyone's missing the point
Okay, maybe it's in there, but I don't feel like reading the rest of the comments. :-)

Every major newspaper has their pick of designers and editors who have been to school to learn everything we know about how to make a newspaper look good: whitespace, balance, composition, paragraph structure, etc. And we've been refining those rules for a century.

How long have we been designing for the tablet? How many people have gone to school to learn what little bit we do know?

This is a new medium. We haven't developed any knowledge about it yet. The people doing the work now are inventing the rules on the fly, and they're rarely going to get it right on the first try.
--

Drew
New doing it wrong
take your second paragraph. Hand those results to a ui desinger. Take that product and hand it to a dev team that understands bandwidth client/server and presentation. A decent product "might" emerge
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New Static vs. dynamic
What makes a good static layout is not the same thing that makes for a good dynamic layout. First, there's unknown screen proportions. But leave that aside and there's actual moving content.

A screenshot from a TV broadcast doesn't look anything like a newspaper. Which one should a tablet emulate? When should it emulate one or the other? And why? We're just starting to work on this stuff.
--

Drew
New Newpaper tablet application
Should look like newspapers from Harry Potter.
New Sure, why not?
Cell phones were modeled off of Star Trek communicators.
--

Drew
New Ding ding ding!
Agreed. Keep the white space and add into it the movable stuff.

Though, who am I to talk? I cram upwards of 80 to a 100 terminal sessions and a browser, mail client, IM client, Voice/Video Client, notifications, Weather, shortcuts... plus a background image into my desktop, err three desktops... plus 3 monitors.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New outa my depth but
shouldnt the browser have the screen porportions via the useragent? Once the browser/tablet is identified a target template filters content for that tablet.
Back in the ustawuzzes is what we did for phones
New Won't work very well.
Keeping that list up to date is a nightmare. iOS alone has ~100 different UA strings. For Android, the OEM browser UA may include the device name, but user installed browsers likely do not. E.g. Firefox makes a distinction between phones and tablets but that is all you get.

CSS can differentiate between screen sizes but that would not help much with content delivery.
New thanks, didnt know
New Also:
Quit treating my Smartphone like a MOBILE PHONE FROM 5+ years ago!

If I want to go to the FULL SITE... don't redirect me back to the "M" site.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New His followup.
http://blogs.reuters...ative-journalism/

He didn't back down much, but fairly presents the pushback he got. Some interesting links.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Felix: Why The Daily was doomed. - (Another Scott) - (12)
         good point in the comments - (boxley) - (10)
             Everyone's missing the point - (drook) - (9)
                 doing it wrong - (boxley) - (8)
                     Static vs. dynamic - (drook) - (7)
                         Newpaper tablet application - (crazy) - (2)
                             Sure, why not? - (drook)
                             Ding ding ding! - (folkert)
                         outa my depth but - (boxley) - (2)
                             Won't work very well. - (scoenye) - (1)
                                 thanks, didnt know -NT - (boxley)
                         Also: - (folkert)
         His followup. - (Another Scott)

There are perhaps no more tragic creatures than middle-aged, middle-class tourists, unused to traveling in unfamiliar places, on a lifetime dream vacation.
128 ms