IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ubuntu Quantal Quetzal (aka 12.10)
Finally got an opportunity to put the latest Ubuntu on a PC where trashing the install is actually an option. My other lappy runs 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), as does my work PC. Colleagues have the later Ubuntu.

Well. I'm familiar with GNOME 2. I've gotten used to it and how it works over the last few years. I've made it adapt to how I want to work. Unity is really quite different. Quite different. I think I don't want it. It certainly puts me off migrating to this PC, which was the intention for buying it. The "dock" down the left side, the windows buttons on the top left, the top-bar menu makes it look like they're aping OS X. Haven't tried moving it to the right yet (if that's even possible), but I also don't like the window grouping it does. (I never liked that on Windows, either.)

So what have other people's experiences been? I know Greg has gone wholly XFCE. I installed E17, which is fast and snazzy, but needs more themes in the packages. If WindowMaker had better system-integration I'd go with that (it doesn't have UI for things like Suspend).

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New The less I fight it the better it works
Yes, that means I've adapted to the software instead of the other way around.
--

Drew
New so how do you open up a terminal?
I use ctl alt f3 and login.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New Search for everything
Hit the windows key to bring up the panel/search. Type "term" and it finds the terminal app. Hit enter.
--

Drew
New thats intuitive, whats a windows key
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New Well ...
I can't help your keyboard. But as for searching for everything, the bigger my local storage gets the harder time I have remembering where everything is. As long as I can remember what it's called, it comes up. Windows does it, Mac does it, Unity does it.

Sure, you can find a hierarchy on each if you really want it. But you know what? Most of what I need most of the time is easier to get to by hitting the hotkey and typing the first few letters.
--

Drew
New Muchas...
multi-terabytes of junk now a day.

"locate" seems to work for me.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New locate is great, provided that you can find a terminal :-)
New Re: locate is great, provided that you can find a terminal :
its the first thing I manhandle.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New hot corners in windows and mac give you a search option
I dont have a windows key on my bog standard old keyboard. Easier for me to putty into the linux box at home rather than using the unity interface
New Its that funny looking key...
You know the one with Curvy Window "pains" on it.

Or the "OPTION" key...

Depending on you Keyboard slant, or how old it is... if ti doesn't have a "Curvy Windows Pain" logo on it... yikes it old.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New neither my laptop or server has that key
New So buy a new keyboard; how much can it be, five bucks?
New I hated it
I hated it
I despised it.
I refused to use it.

I've been using KDE then Gnome for years, and been quite happy, Unity sucked.
When I installed a new Gnome system, I'd install enough kde libs to get konsole going. I had a bunch of stuff like that.

Then my primary computer died.
And the backup system was the test Unity system.
Fuck it.
I got all my production stuff going, made sure my files were ok, and then sat down and slowly, carefully, read the Unity docs. And tried stuff.

And found out I really like it.

I simply never gave it a try. I tried to work my default way that I had evolved in the previous ones. They were rip-offs of Win95, so it was all comfortable.

Unity is different.
Expand Edited by crazy Dec. 3, 2012, 11:02:24 PM EST
New I thought I went in with an open mind.
One thing I actually genuinely do not like is the "grouping". So Firefox has two windows open? Click on the Firefox icon - now select which one you want. :-/ No. Fail. Give me a icon for *each* of them, please! I hated this when Windows did it (fortunately I can turn it off there) and so I dislike Unity doing it, too. OTOH, apps I use tend to group their sub-windows their own way: Opera's tabs, GNU screen. LibreOffice would be the exception here.

That aside, the PC in question is a Latitude XT. So yes, it is a touch-screen PC. This is the part of the reason I want to put the dock on the right (I'm right handed). Also because WindowMaker puts that sort of shit on the right and so I'm used to that.

I guess I'll keep persisting. Haven't tried KDE yet. Or XFCE on the touchscreen.

Wade.
New You probably did
It truly sucks for waving your arm around, but then again, so does everything else.

But on a PC with a very sensitive large track ball it is great.

I did not like the window grouping either, for a bit, but as drook pointed out, it's been training me for it's setup, rather than me forcing it to do the old way.

I like alt-tab to move between windows, and I like it's multi-level app grouping in the way it does it. Or I tap click the icon, and all the windows for that app are revealed, and I choose with the trackball quickly.

Fling left, choose large icon easily, click, fling right toward the window I want, click.

I'd hate it on a mouse, but I love it on the trackball.
New Great with a trackpad on a laptop, too
That's the design target, after all.
--

Drew
New There is a reason...
I use XFCE.

It stays out of my way. I'm productive in it.

Unlike any of the current Tablet UIs for the 14 year old out there (UNITY, Gnome3 Shell, Windows 8 RT, Windows 8).

I just won't use them.

Even on my Android, I'm not using the those fancy "swipes" bullshit. Haptic feedback and a reasonable performing smartphone with a nice browser, gmail client, calendar client and a few others... I am set for most stuff.

I only have some games on it to tide time waiting for things.

There is also a reason I use Debian Sid. It just works biatches. If what I'm doing/using ends up having issues... I switch to something else just fine for the time being.

But this whole Tablet interface crap... just ain't gonna cut it for me ever.

Edit: Clarity on the "Tablet UIs for the 14 year old" vs "the 14 year old Tablet UIs" kinda not what I meant.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
Expand Edited by folkert Dec. 4, 2012, 01:41:58 PM EST
New Not my issue
Sitting back relaxing with a full screen and a big-ass track ball.

If I used a mouse it would kill my wrist.

I added my default apps such as term, gvim, chromium, and took away a couple of the defaults from the bar on the left.

The track ball throws nicely to the bar my apps, and they only launch once if I click them multiple, unless I choose via drop down. This is good. So I click them to launch, and I click the same button to activate when the are down on the window stack. They go wiggly or alarmy to let me know status, so if something needs attention I'll know without something popping up over my current working window, waiting to get the wrong keystrokes. Those icons also allow for killing of the apps on the drop down, no hunting hidden windows.

Really, it goes on and on. I do like it, but NOT on a tablet. My arm would die with those long back and forth artificial movements. But it is really good on a PC with a big screen or 2.
Expand Edited by crazy Dec. 4, 2012, 02:00:56 AM EST
New I knew you'd say basically that. :-)
     Ubuntu Quantal Quetzal (aka 12.10) - (static) - (19)
         The less I fight it the better it works - (drook) - (11)
             so how do you open up a terminal? - (boxley) - (10)
                 Search for everything - (drook) - (9)
                     thats intuitive, whats a windows key -NT - (boxley) - (8)
                         Well ... - (drook) - (4)
                             Muchas... - (folkert) - (2)
                                 locate is great, provided that you can find a terminal :-) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Re: locate is great, provided that you can find a terminal : - (folkert)
                             hot corners in windows and mac give you a search option - (boxley)
                         Its that funny looking key... - (folkert) - (2)
                             neither my laptop or server has that key -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                 So buy a new keyboard; how much can it be, five bucks? -NT - (CRConrad)
         I hated it - (crazy) - (3)
             I thought I went in with an open mind. - (static) - (2)
                 You probably did - (crazy) - (1)
                     Great with a trackpad on a laptop, too - (drook)
         There is a reason... - (folkert) - (2)
             Not my issue - (crazy)
             I knew you'd say basically that. :-) -NT - (static)

Mmmm... Flavored Beer.
114 ms