IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New MS moving to yearly release for Windows?
http://www.extremete...indows-every-year
Way back in August, three months before the release of Windows 8, we learnt about the existence of a project at Microsoft codenamed Blue. At the time it wasn’t clear whether this was Windows 9, or some kind of interim update/service pack for Windows 8. Now, if unnamed sources are to be believed, Windows Blue is both of those things: a major update to Windows 8, and also the beginning of a major shift that will result in a major release of Windows every 12 months — just like Apple’s OS X.
This is all rumor mill, but in this case makes a fair amount of sense. Microsoft is moving to copy the Apple model of releasing an OS update once a year. It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off over the long term, maintaining bug fixes and compatibility is going to be a challenge.

Also, apparently they are going to merge all of the Windows SDK and the Windows Phone SDK be merged into a single package and all developers will be forced to develop applications for both if they want them approved. This is a move I expected at some point, as they are obviously moving in that direction with Win8 already. This will actually be easier, as the WP8 programming interface isn't that different then Win8. It will mostly be forcing software companies to provide both a small scale phone interface and a full regular interface for their applications.

Jay

New I have the dev tools, they aint there yet
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New If they manage this, they might get a jump on Apple.
I've heard from a few iOS and MacOSX developers that these are still two different development environments, despite it being possible to sometimes share source code. If Microsoft manage to completely unifiy Windows and Windows Phone, that's one up on Apple.

Of course, since it's Microsoft, everyone knows that they never quite manage to do this kind of thing right on the first try. :-)

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
     MS moving to yearly release for Windows? - (jay) - (2)
         I have the dev tools, they aint there yet -NT - (boxley)
         If they manage this, they might get a jump on Apple. - (static)

Helmet of the meat!
60 ms