IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Narwhal vs Orca
Interesting counterpoint to "what Romney's consultants did wrong": what Obama's tech people (not consultants) did right. Longish article, but well worth the read.
The Obama campaign's technologists were tense and tired. It was game day and everything was going wrong.

Josh Thayer, the lead engineer of Narwhal, had just been informed that they'd lost another one of the services powering their software. That was bad: Narwhal was the code name for the data platform that underpinned the campaign and let it track voters and volunteers. If it broke, so would everything else.

They were talking with people at Amazon Web Services, but all they knew was that they had packet loss. Earlier that day, they lost their databases, their East Coast servers, and their memcache clusters. Thayer was ready to kill Nick Hatch, a DevOps engineer who was the official bearer of bad news. Another of their vendors, StallionDB, was fixing databases, but needed to rebuild the replicas. It was going to take time, Hatch said. They didn't have time.

They'd been working 14-hour days, six or seven days a week, trying to reelect the president, and now everything had been broken at just the wrong time. It was like someone had written a Murphy's Law algorithm and deployed it at scale.

And that was the point. "Game day" was October 21. The election was still 17 days away...
http://www.theatlant...rching-in/265325/

cordially,
New good find
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New A very good read. Thanks.
New Great testing
When I was wee tech lad, and had about 2 months of Xenix use/self training/customer tech calls, my boss decided it was time to test me. He was a Unix admin, classic nerd, with deep AT&T and Berkeley connections.

He went through and fucked up the system. He changed permissions, contents of driver files, removed critical files, renamed them, it was ALL OVER THE PLACE.

And then he said: Fix it.
New Hahaha...
I accidentally did that kinda stuff to myself on a production machine... accidentally.

I was *CLEARLY* in a testing environment on the OLD HPUX v8.02.something HP 817 machine.

I thought I was in root's homedir at the time. (whoops) In this particular machine with 8.02.... "/" was the homedir for "root"... and it wasn't 8.02... was 9.04f and on the new(er) box... CRAP!

Ummm yeah and its wasn't the old test machine. Whoops... all printing, data entry, workings... down while I called HP for support.

Surprisingly, HP had a script (on the machine already) to fix this. Seems I wasn't the only one to have done this in the past.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New They should have asked me
An Operational Data Store (ODS, a backend chunk of data that needs to be accessed in real time by real people) is NOT a Data Warehouse. It directly conflicts with it. We knew that back in the 90s.

While the dream had been for all applications to run through Narwhal in real time, it turned out that couldn't work. So, they split things into real-time applications like the Call Tool or things on the web. And then they provided a separate way for the Analytics people, who had very specific needs, to get the data in a different form. Then, whatever they came up with was fed back into Narwhal.
     How the Romney GOTV effort died - (malraux) - (17)
         GMTA. #366058 - (Another Scott)
         Classic. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             That's interesting - (drook)
         asked and answered - (rcareaga)
         Good comments. - (Another Scott) - (6)
             Redstate in a lather - (malraux) - (5)
                 Yup. But Romney was worse than that. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     repos are in agreement - (boxley) - (1)
                         They certainly filled the bowl. - (mmoffitt)
                 Says more about otusourcing than about Romney specifically - (drook)
                 Your summary of Rmoney.. (Man and/As Machine) - (Ashton)
         Narwhal vs Orca - (rcareaga) - (5)
             good find -NT - (boxley)
             A very good read. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Great testing - (crazy) - (1)
                 Hahaha... - (folkert)
             They should have asked me - (crazy)

Do not ask for whom the bellicose tolls.
88 ms