Everything they create is stretched. If it's disturbingly so, they correct by making it "too tall". Then whoever they send it to sees it appropriately stretched back out.

More likely, they just assume that's how computers work. People have been treating Windows machines like that for years ... that's just how things are.

As an aside, we have a wide-screen TV, but don't have digital cable. That means we get analog channels which are formatted for 4:3 TV. Many newer shows are displayed in widescreen letterboxed to 4:3 format, which means we have a black border all the way around. The TV has settings to stretch various formats into their appropriate size.

I use those settings all the time. I can't stand watching things in the wrong format, or smaller than they could be, or with parts cut off becuase they're larger than they should be. My wife, on the other hand, hates when any part of the screen is unused. So she'll leave things zoomed even when watching 4:3 formatted shows and the top and bottom will be cut off.

At least that's an improvement (I think) over what she did when the TV was new. She'd zoom to "fullscreen" which would stretch the aspect ratio.