New Windows Browsers: IE10 vs Chrome 22: Sunspider
Chrome Version 22.0.1229.94 m plays Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16834

OS is Windows 8 Pro (6.2.9200) 64-bit

Computer is Apple iMac, Core i5 750 @ 2.66GHz, 8GB RAM

Chrome
Total: 218.0ms +/- 6.0%

Internet Explorer
Total: 157.1ms +/- 0.5%

The Google code monkeys have work to do, it seems. IE10 certainly feels very fast indeed.

Over in the 2nd division, Safari 5.1.7 plays Firefox 16.0.1:

Firefox
Total: 222.8ms +/- 3.3%

Safari
Total: 242.0ms +/- 1.0%
New Yup, Google has won.
Since the whole point of Chrome was getting browsers to the point where they can run JS/HTML applications as well as desktop apps, and now that the default Windows browser is fast enough as well, Google can go home rest assured of a job well done.

Personally, I don't ever use Firefox or Safari at this point, except in the rare instance when I run across a web site that absolutely refuses to work in Chrome.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New How many tabs do you use?
Chrome is faster than FF when I use it, but if I have more than about 20 tabs open in Chrome it uses more RAM than FF and the tabs are so smushed together that I can't tell which is which (unless I wait for the mouseover text to appear and I don't want to wait).

Chrome doesn't work well for my usual browsing style. FF with TabMixPlus does.

Given Google's decision to kill/spin-off non-essential programming efforts, I don't expect multi-row tabs in Chrome any time soon. It's a shame, but them's the breaks.

IE doesn't interest me, no matter how fast or good it might be. Like you, I only use it when I have to.

Cheers,
Scott.
New 40 in this window
Several other windows with 2-10 tabs in them.
Regards,
-scott
New Should have known. ;-) Thanks.
New Looks like there are some extensions I need to try...
http://howto.cnet.co...e-tabs-in-chrome/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Sure looks like a win for us Ludites.
I don't even use tabs, just open windows - and sometimes I have as many as four open at once!

How do you guys concentrate on getting anything done when you're distracted by 40+ tabs?
New Getting stuff done? What's that?
--

Drew
New Heh.
My workflow is to open a browser window in the morning (restoring my previous tabs) then open additional tabs as needed. Over time, they build up to some steady state. If one doesn't get used, I eventually close it. I occasionally save the remainders to my bookmarks and might start reasonably fresh after that.

I don't read each of them multiple times every day.

Sometimes special occasions demand more - e.g. I have 5 WeatherUnderground tabs open at the moment: 1) Local weather; 2) Local Radar; 3) Regional Radar; 4) Hurricane Sandy; 5) Jeff Masters's WunderBlog on Sandy.

If one has enough RAM, one might as well use it all. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New It's not a distraction.
Window 1:

1) The manual page for git talking about branches that I'm keeping around until I need it again
2) The parse.com data browser, which I check periodically for updates to my app's server data
3) A tutorial on writing Flex unit tests that I keep meaning to get back to
4) A picture of my parents' old house from when I was a boy that I keep meaning to show to my son
5) A YouTube of "Rama's Great" from Sita Sings The Blues: http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=-HugqxcODjQ
6) The home page for Sita Sings The Blues, open from a G+ post I made about the film and which I keep forgetting to close: http://www.sitasingstheblues.com/
7) A Google search page on Sita Sings The Blues, ditto
8) The Starling Framework doc page on bitmap fonts, probably don't need it open at this point
9) A Surface RT pricing article I might write a post about
10) A Starling forum post about bitmap font performance, probably don't need it open at this point
11) An Actionscript 3 API reference window that I keep open to look things up occasionally
12) A help page detailing how to convert an Apple certificate into a .p12 file that I used a week ago, probably don't need it open either
13) A Starling native overlay forum post that I don't want to forget about
14-16) Three pages on how to fork/pull/contribute to Github, because I was doing that earlier this week. I might close those.
17) A Starling forum post on mipmaps and ATF image format
18) The Starling API reference that I keep open to look things up occasionally
19-21) Three stackoverflow.com posts I was considering writing an answer for
22-37) Various windows about SAP and mobile technology (see note below)
38) A newegg.com window with some RAM I was considering buying for my MacPro ($99 for 4G)
39) A Starling forum post about problems with resetting the Tween class
40) IWETHEY
41) The cNet article AnotherScott posted about Chrome tabs :-)

Window 2:

1-2) A pair of Google docs I'm editing as a favor to a friend.

Window 3:

1) Apples iTunesConnect, the application management page
2) Google Play's developer report page
3) Amazon's App Store developer report page
4) B&N NOOK app store developer report page

Window 4:

1) A Glimpse Into The Meditating Brain: http://earthvision.i...itatingbrain.html

Window 5:

1-7) Various topics I may post on G+, including cats.

Note: My usual research method involves performing a search in Google, opening all of the interesting pages in a new tab, then going through each of those pages and doing the same thing, then running back through all of the now-opened tabs and reading them all. I'm looking into SAP and mobile integration for a possible project through one of my companies.
Regards,
-scott
Expand Edited by malraux Oct. 26, 2012, 02:14:16 PM EDT
New Hmmm . . . no, looks more like an obsession :)
New Re: Sure looks like a win for us Ludites.
Four. :-)

When reading a web forum, I open up a subforum and then Control-Click on all threads, resulting in 10-20 or more open tabs for reading, and I close 'em as I finish each one. I *hate* waiting for web sites. :-)
--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> Mableton, GA USA
The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
Expand Edited by rcsteiner Oct. 26, 2012, 02:50:25 PM EDT
New Couldn't get anything done without it...
1. Staff network monitoring system
2. Student network monitoring system
3. Helldesk ticket system
4. Inventory
5. Latency tracker - dorm 1
6. Latency tracker - dorm 2
7. T1 traffic trackers

One window to rule them all... :-)
New Yes, but that's a reasonable number, and . . .
. . for very specific reasons.

I don't use tabs, not because I hate tabs, but because I usually need two or more windows open for viewing in direct comparison, and very rarely more than four. Different kind of work - I'm not monitoring anything.
     Windows Browsers: IE10 vs Chrome 22: Sunspider - (pwhysall) - (13)
         Yup, Google has won. - (malraux) - (12)
             How many tabs do you use? - (Another Scott) - (11)
                 40 in this window - (malraux) - (10)
                     Should have known. ;-) Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Looks like there are some extensions I need to try... - (Another Scott)
                     Sure looks like a win for us Ludites. - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                         Getting stuff done? What's that? -NT - (drook)
                         Heh. - (Another Scott)
                         It's not a distraction. - (malraux) - (1)
                             Hmmm . . . no, looks more like an obsession :) -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                         Re: Sure looks like a win for us Ludites. - (rcsteiner)
                         Couldn't get anything done without it... - (scoenye) - (1)
                             Yes, but that's a reasonable number, and . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping
102 ms