IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Solution to Flash "Error 5" crash.
For months I've been having issues with trying to play Flash videos on several of my Winders boxes. Clicking on the window (to bypass FlashBlock) to load the static window with the image results in "Error creating memory mapped file 5". Reloading the page and trying again almost always works.

Various pages talk about turning off Hardware Acceleration in the settings for FF or Flash. Didn't help.

Finally, today I found the following: http://answers.micro...937c-0878a1ee3f20

The solution? Turn off and unload the little utility "Taskbar Shuffle". That appears to have fixed it.

I really hate Winders...

Cheers,
Scott.
New You're hating the wrong company
from here: http://www.snapfiles...skbarshuffle.html

Taskbar Shuffle is a small and simple program, that adds a handy new functionality to your Windows taskbar - it enables you to rearrange the taskbar buttons by simply dragging them around. This feature can be quite useful if the order and arrangement of your taskbar buttons is of importance to you. Makes you wonder why the XP taskbar did not come with this feature in the first place.

Also from that page, Taskbar Shuffle was last updated: Jul 03, 2008 - a couple of years before IE8 was created.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New ? It's Winders (Microsoft) that is annoying me.
Yes, the functionality should be in Windows.

And the APIs should be clean enough that a little utility like that shouldn't break memory mapped files (or whatever the issue with Flash crashing are).

Both are MS's fault AFAICS.

Cheers,
Scott.
New s/MS/Adobe/
Flash being a crashy pile of shit is Adobe's fault.
New Flash should just DIE.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Yup
New Flash in the browser, sure.
It's a very nice mobile development platform, though.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Them too. Still, it's MS's OS...
New ***COUGH***COUGH***
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Robitussin may help with that. ;-)
Explain it to me like I'm stupid. Thanks.
New Got a "Z-Pack" earlier this week.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Re: Them too. Still, it's MS's OS...
App crashes are not the problem of the OS vendor.
New True but...
Yeah, I've got a weak argument, but bear with me.

The error/crash only occurs when Taskbar Shuffle is used with Flash.

It seems to happen with Firefox, Chrome, and IE8 (dunno if TS is always installed nor whether it always involves Flash, but those seem to be the most common intersections).

It seems to me to be an API issue. The API is either written in such a way that it's easy for Flash to stomp on shared memory used by TS, or Adobe is trying to do something it shouldn't.

MS has control over the Win32 API. The OS controls what is legal or not.

Either MS's API needs to be tightened up to prevent Flash apps from stomping on someone else's shared memory, or Adobe needs to be slapped down for doing things outside the standard API.

This problem has been going on for years. Lots of people have this trouble, but the actual solution is very hard to find and not widely known. It shouldn't still be happening.

Adobe is the logical person to fix this, but if the OS and API were better then it wouldn't show up on the user's desktop at all. It would have been caught in the build process AFAICS.

And if MS hadn't broken their taskbar functionality over the years, then TS wouldn't be needed...

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: True but...
The OS is probably doing the right thing here, but the apps in question aren't dealing with their situation gracefully (and OMG my IE10 textbox has got autocorrect >high fives MS<), instead crashing.
New Snark
High five, MS has caught up to FirFox from (at least) five years ago! WOOOO!
--

Drew
New Looks like the Shuffler crew is to blame
That crash comes out of the Shuffler, not Flash. It is hooked into a Windows system call and the hook is doing something naughty. My guess is they used an undocumented API call that finally changed signature sometime after the last update.

New Thanks.
He says that TS is not supported on Win7, so it sounds like you're right.

http://nerdcave.webs.com/

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Ummmm....
***COUGH***

AS, you keep playing with Windows... when all you've been doing about it, is complaining.

When are you going to realize Windows isn't the Operating System you are looking for... move along.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New ***COUGH***
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
     Solution to Flash "Error 5" crash. - (Another Scott) - (18)
         You're hating the wrong company - (lincoln) - (16)
             ? It's Winders (Microsoft) that is annoying me. - (Another Scott) - (15)
                 s/MS/Adobe/ - (pwhysall) - (11)
                     Flash should just DIE. -NT - (folkert) - (2)
                         Yup -NT - (pwhysall)
                         Flash in the browser, sure. - (malraux)
                     Them too. Still, it's MS's OS... -NT - (Another Scott) - (7)
                         ***COUGH***COUGH*** -NT - (folkert) - (2)
                             Robitussin may help with that. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Got a "Z-Pack" earlier this week. -NT - (folkert)
                         Re: Them too. Still, it's MS's OS... - (pwhysall) - (3)
                             True but... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 Re: True but... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Snark - (drook)
                 Looks like the Shuffler crew is to blame - (scoenye) - (2)
                     Thanks. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Ummmm.... - (folkert)
         ***COUGH*** -NT - (folkert)

My parents just came back from a planet where the dominant life form had no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this stupid F-shirt.
140 ms