IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Having made my living with learning curves . . .
. . for many years, this is how it was laid out. I still have the book of tables I used - we didn't have computers in those days.

X axis (horizontal) - total number of units produced.
Y axis (vertical) - total time invested per unit produced.

So if you start high at the left, you hope to decline rapidly (steep curve) - unless you're on a cost plus contract.

Of course, the ideal is a very shallow learning curve, starting low and ending a bit lower. Takes a lot of the risk out of estimating the total cost.
New Hmm, backwards from (current) common usage
People talk about climbing the learning curve, and a steep curve is harder to climb.
--

Drew
New No, they just don't understand learning curves.
You don't climb learning curves - you start at the top (most difficult) and slide down (you hope).
New I think those are "experience curves".
E.g. http://en.wikipedia...._experience_curve

Given your previous experience, that would seem to be a perfect fit.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yea, but . . .
. . note that they use "Experience Curve" as a "disambiguation" of the major heading "Learning Curve" - and the other definitions are TV shows or bands.

Calling it an "Experience Curve" is probably a recent attempt to overcome the total misuse of the term "Learning Curve" in current speech.

We always called it "Learning Curve", and the government auditors called it "Learning Curve", and my book of tables is titled "Cumulative Average Learning".
     The Verge's Windows 8 Review is up - (pwhysall) - (10)
         The "learning curve" should be retired. - (Another Scott) - (8)
             Got the axes wrong - (drook) - (7)
                 Having made my living with learning curves . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                     Hmm, backwards from (current) common usage - (drook) - (1)
                         No, they just don't understand learning curves. - (Andrew Grygus)
                     I think those are "experience curves". - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Yea, but . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 There are lots and lots of variations. - (Another Scott)
                 Yes. This. - (static)
         Geezer -NT - (drook)