IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well... that is just plain wrong.
If people would realize that networking is just an arbitrary set of settings (with a specific set of rules enforced by the gear) made up by the person doing the work... Its just a matter of using those "probably forgotten" parameters when changing.

Oh well... most people don't care enough to keep the network settings handy at the gear or anywhere so flail when it comes to making changes.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Of course.
I don't like it, but that's the way it is for me.

Just about every Winders laptop comes with some vendor-supplied WiFi networking gizmo to "make it easier". They're often multi-hundred-megabyte monstrosities. And Winders comes with its own. Quite often, in my experience, they can conflict and it can be very difficult to fix when something goes wrong (e.g. if you try to "clean" your system by getting rid of cruft that you think you don't need).

"Well then, there's your problem! You're still using Winders!!!1" I know, I know.

:-)

But I find the same thing with versions of Linux I've tried. In Ubuntu, quite often changes to the WiFi settings don't seem to "stick" for some reason. E.g., now I seem to be having issues with DNS lookups timing out on one of my laptops. I've tried in the past to fix such things and have ended up with WiFi networking not working at all, so I haven't been brave enough to try fixing it again.

Yes, I know that Ubuntu's WiFi settings are just a front-end to the real utilities and a simple script will take care of that. I haven't had time to learn that (and put it somewhere that I can find it again in the future).

If it works, it's not worth messing with to make it correct in most circumstances.

YMMV, and does. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
     I too hate networking - (rcareaga) - (4)
         Most of just flail around until it sorta works. Congrats! -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Well... that is just plain wrong. - (folkert) - (1)
                 Of course. - (Another Scott)
         Sounds familiar... - (scoenye)

Black candle lit.
33 ms