IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 1+1=3?
His assertion that our brain associates warm tones with quiescent periods and cold tones with active periods may be correct, but the way he gets there is rather fast and loose.
Because there’s a strong relationship between the types of light we see and the temperature of the body that emits light, our eyes perceive bluer lights as correlated with daytime (under normal circumstances) and predominantly redder lights as suitable for times closer to dawn/dusk, or even during the night.

The first part of that sentence has no bearing on the second. Our eyes evolved with the sun as the only lightsource. Color changes are due to atmospheric filtering, not to any temperature changes on the sun or any other body.
That’s why blue, night-vision-ruining headlights are so obnoxious on the road; they’ve got the wrong color spectrum for a night environment.

These ruin nightvision because they are so intense. The eye's rod sensors (night vision) are more sensitive to blue-green light than the cone sensors (daytime) so the HID color temperature is actually better aligned, but the intensity overwhelms the rods.
if we don’t want to ruin our night vision or mess up our body’s night/day internal clock,... That’s why many experienced backpackers and amateur astronomers use exclusively red lights

Red light is used due to the difference in sensitivy between rod and cone sensors. The nighttime rods are not very sensitive to red light so you can use it to trigger the cone sensors without overwhelming the rods. You can read a map and not walk into a tree right after. There is no basis to throw the internal clock in the mix (after a late night telescope session, mine's just as screwed up regardless of the type of light I used to find my way around :-/ )
New Kelvin is a way of measuring spectrum
He's not talking about actual heat, just the spectrum that a blackbody will radiate at that particular temperature.

I thought the bit about night vision was a bit odd as well.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Poor expression on my part
His statement made so little sense my original response started to sound rather pedantic so I cut a bunch a stuff out. I guess I ended up making it simpler than it should have been :)
New Stage lighting
The eye's rod sensors (night vision) are more sensitive to blue-green light than the cone sensors (daytime) so the HID color temperature is actually better aligned, but the intensity overwhelms the rods.

That would be why a green or blue wash over the band on or by the side of a stage works so well. :-)

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
     f.lux: set your monitor color to match the current time - (malraux) - (8)
         Easy with a monitor. - (static) - (2)
             There is an app version as well - (malraux) - (1)
                 Lappy is at home. - (static)
         1+1=3? - (scoenye) - (3)
             Kelvin is a way of measuring spectrum - (malraux) - (1)
                 Poor expression on my part - (scoenye)
             Stage lighting - (static)
         Two months later: very pleased - (malraux)

When's the last time you heard China?
42 ms