IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New iMac needs Vulcan Mind Meld
Have become so accustomed to, (It Just Works--as promised..) only rarely do I look in on how well the crankshaft and pistons are doing.

Query for the mondo-informed, if you please?

Have had, now 3 obv. video-related crashes, in last 4-6 weeks:
vertical off-white bars, with 'corduroy like' striations, maybe <1/32" every ~1/8" of white expanse.
An earlier crash may have had a slightly different appearance. Dead to inputs, ergo--Manual shutdown. Restored all, correctly, each time.

This would seem to be Nature's Way of easing me into the conclusion: something is going bonkers in the GPU? or other graphics-related. Note also: via smcFan Control, GPU is kept under 130ish °F, just on general principles--and because smc is so neat a watchdog. That is usually hottest monitored locale.

Are there any graphics test suites for iMac? Though, as a seeming intermittent/likely hardware (?) problem, that might reveal nothing, unless say, a stress-test could cause the effect.

Nada in Crash Reporter or User Diagnostic Reports.

Any obvious next steps? Meanwhile shall whistle past the Apple Guts cemetery.
(3.75 years since getting a .75 yo machine is.. not quite as long as I'd 'expected', but wtf; that's Random fer ya.)

Gracias
New Sounds like the video card.
Does it look like this? http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=ofuNEkncGQk

A few years ago there was a problem with certain video chips having bad solder bumps (due to a change of the solder technology to meet ROHS standards). I don't know if the card in your iMac is from that vintage, but it might be.

Hunt around iFixit to see what's involved and whether it's worth the trouble.

Can you plug an external monitor into it? If so, maybe you'd get lucky and that would work even if the main display was being wonky.

HTH.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: iMac needs Vulcan Mind Meld
Sounds like the early stages of thermal failure to me.

I had similar on my white iMac a few years back.

Replacement graphics card did the trick.
New Thanks (I think..)
Whether 'tis GPU/video card ... shall fuss about after next two events :-/
     iMac needs Vulcan Mind Meld - (Ashton) - (3)
         Sounds like the video card. - (Another Scott)
         Re: iMac needs Vulcan Mind Meld - (pwhysall)
         Thanks (I think..) - (Ashton)

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
67 ms