IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yup.
That's what's going on when, in the Olympic commercial, the runners were tapping their phones together during the "torch" relay.

http://www.youtube.c...ded&v=kLQJLAYlF2Q (0:32) SFW

It's a neat little box, and very tempting.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Like mine so far
Keep in mind my only other smartphone was a Blackberry several years back, before iPhones and Android.

The one serious knock so far was that on a rainy day I had poor G4 reception. The radio kept trying to connect -- no way to disable it -- and it ate the entire battery by 6 p.m.
--

Drew
New Good to know.
The bit about the battery is especially good to know. There are many places in my building at work that kill cell reception and eat the battery in my Palm Treo 755p (released in 2007). It seems to default to trying to roam in such circumstances, and when roaming is turned off it seems to keep trying anyway. It would be nice if the phones were smarter about not trying to find the network in such a battery-killing way...

If/when I replace it, I guess I'll have to map out the reception and know when to turn the phone off during the day.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Scott.
New 4G/LTE... Yes there is a way to disable it.
In Settings (mine was under "More" from the initial screen.)

Find "Mobile Networks"
Go to "Network Mode"

Select from two choices: "LTE/CDMA" or "CDMA"

Choose "CDMA" that disables (though not really turning off) the 4G/LTE stuff. That single act will save you a crud load of battery. If you need 4G, then you can re-enable it as needed.

That is assuming you are on Verizon. If you are on another Carrier, they have the other versions there instead of CDMA.
New Nope
Under "Mobile Networks" I've got four options:

* Use packet data (checkbox)
* Data roaming (checkbox)
* Access Point Names (detail screen only shows AT&T PTA)
* Network operators(detail screen only shows "Default setup" with no changeable options)

"Network Mode" isn't there. From what I've read online, the S3 has the antenna on the same die as the CPU. That makes it more efficient, but devices with this chip generally don't give you the option to disable it.

There's a workaround where you go into the carrier setup codes with long strings of numbers and pound signs, but you have to do it every time you're turning it on or off. And it also has numerous warnings that you're doing it at your own risk.
--

Drew
New Dude... that suck.
New Just gotta remember the cable on rainy days
Actually, I've got to remember to keep one cable at home, one in the car, and one at work. Probably a good idea even if I didn't have the rainy-day problem.
--

Drew
New Speaking of rainy days
And Cloud computing

A new national survey by Wakefield Research, commissioned by Citrix, showed that most respondents believe the cloud is related to weather, while some referred to pillows, drugs and toilet paper.

http://www.citrix.co...sp?newsID=2328309

Actually, in my company's case, it is. We are on the net via either flaky DSL (384KB) or on the net via flaky cable. Both flake harder in the rain.
New Was that a dandruff reference?
--

Drew
     No NFC in next iPhone. - (Another Scott) - (11)
         I knew that guy - (drook)
         My S3 has NFC -NT - (Bman) - (9)
             Yup. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                 Like mine so far - (drook) - (7)
                     Good to know. - (Another Scott)
                     4G/LTE... Yes there is a way to disable it. - (folkert) - (5)
                         Nope - (drook) - (4)
                             Dude... that suck. -NT - (folkert) - (3)
                                 Just gotta remember the cable on rainy days - (drook) - (2)
                                     Speaking of rainy days - (crazy) - (1)
                                         Was that a dandruff reference? -NT - (drook)

Slices, dices, chops...
56 ms