IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Easy for you to say
Verizon comes with VZ nav that cost
But most new Android phone come with a free nav by google it works well
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New Not really 'free'
>>> most new Android phone come with a free nav by google

I guess you can never have enough information...

http://www.pcworld.c...u_the_creeps.html

[...]

"Regarding location information specifically, Google’s privacy policy states: “When you use a location-enabled Google service, we may collect and process information about your actual location, like GPS signals sent by a mobile device. We may also use various technologies to determine location, such as sensor data from your device that may, for example, provide information on nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers.”
New Until they get mo money from someone else
My Palm Pre came with Google Maps. I toyed with it in the beginning and it worked well, even at speed. A while back I tried to use it but it refused to start saying an update was needed. I finally gave in and let it pull the update only to find out Sprint replaced it with Bing Maps. Useless garbage :-(

So, regardless of the OS, I would say that as long as the device is tied to the carrier, they can do whatever they want.
New Don't think so
Carriers license a chunk of Android apps from Google.
As oppsed to random non-phone Android devices.
Those apps are used as part of the branding/sales process.

They turn off my Google Maps on my Atrix and there will be hell to pay.

On the other hand, you fell for/bought the palm (nice device, and if it has an app you need, then you need it), but for the rest of us, that device is a BAD idea.

Note: I had a palm phone with a touch screen and a chunky keyboard, LOVED it. But then the company replaced it with a blackberry. Not as nice, but integrated with the email server better. That was the end of Palm for me, about 8 years ago.
New 't belongs to my employer + Sprint falsely accused
At the time, the choice was between PalmOS and WinMo 6.5. IOW, not really a choice ;-)

But in general, I side with the Luddites when it comes to phones these days. If the choice was really up to me, it'd be a dumb phone.

And the guilty party for the switch was HP, not Sprint. I guess you're right. I don't see Google pushing Bing any time soon...
New I'm happy with the dumb phone
My employer recently decided they're not. In fact they're unhappy enough to pay for the new one. That's why I'm shopping.
--

Drew
New Count yourself lucky
I get a Blackberry Curve 8520 at work. It's completely horrific in all aspects.

Can't even get a (relatively) non-shit one off eBay and chuck the SIM in it, because I'd have to get the Group IT department to activate (or provision or whatever) it, and they're about as flexible as neutronium when it comes to BYOD.

Dear RIM

Please stop fucking about and go bust so that my company can throw away its BES servers and instead issue iPhones or Androids or Windows Phone or anything other than your ghastly shit phones.

Love,

Peter.
New I had a Curve 3300
Worked fine for what I needed. But then I'm the guy who's happy with his dumb phone.
--

Drew
New RIM is still the only semi-secure solution.
New Not so.
iPhone does full-device encryption too, with remote lock/wipe. Dunno about Android, but I bet it does or will Real Soon Now.

True, you can set a BB to wipe itself if it doesn't contact the mothership after a certain time, but the proportion of the market that would actually genuinely miss that feature is, I posit, tiny.
New And you can only "remotely wipe" an iPhone if...
it connects to you. If a handheld has been compromised, I don't want it connecting to me. But that's not the only trouble with iPhones.

See here for example:
http://www.sit.fraun...st-passwords.html

What "proportion of the market would actually genuinely miss" the additional security is irrelevant. This is the age of Facebook. An age when the great mass of marching morons cannot be trusted to make security decisions - even when it comes to securing their own information.
New Shrug
You said RIM phones are the only semi-secure option.

They're not.

They're arguably the most secure, but there're other secure enough options.

Are you seriously contending that people need timed remote wipe on non-connection to a remote server?

That's a nice tinfoil hat you've got, there.
New They clearly don't need it for personal use.
But for some businesses (my current employer included) it is a must.

Of course, you Brits have no trouble with being snooped upon incessantly so I'm not surprised you think anyone concerned with privacy is worthy of a tinfoil hat.
New Heh, and you're not snooped on *at all*, right?
You keep right on believing that.

And constructing strawmen, while you're at it.

I know there are some businesses that want remote timed wipe; it's just that there are almost certainly too few of them to sustain RIM.

Feel free to continue arguing with things I didn't say, though.
New Of course we're snooped on. I've read the USA PATRIOT Act.
It's just that *we* don't like it. Most of you Brits think its not a problem. The Queen's entitled and all that. That's among the reasons we broke away from you, remember? ;0)
New Says who?
You're just making things up now.
New Yes, but he has a REALLY REALLY...
Nice big stack of straw back there.

And He is making the biggest burning man strawman you've ever seen!
New Android does, too.
I haven't installed it but I know someone who did. It's slightly scary to setup, actually because the ability to remotely reset the device is fairly prominently displayed. And then partway through the install it looks like it's done a factory reset - only it hasn't really, it's just waiting for you login.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Yep.
That's why I said RIM is still the only semi-secure solution. My yanking Peter's chain aside, he is right. Almost nobody cares. The bank my company uses for the health savings accounts recently rolled out iPhones to their people. They manage them through Airwatch which requires an agent on the device - a lot like MobileIron. The bank doesn't even disable Siri or iCloud *and* they allow their users to add 3rd party email accounts to their devices. But their IT Security guy said, "That's not a problem, though, because we don't show them how to add 3rd party email accounts." I damned near fell off my chair.

edit: tpyo
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Aug. 17, 2012, 08:26:24 AM EDT
New Wouldn't you think banks would hire people who know that?
You'd be wrong. Because that comes lower on the "shit we care about" scale than not going bankrupt, and they haven't been real good at that lately.
--

Drew
     Do wireless carriers remotely disable Android features? - (drook) - (28)
         You can always reflash it. - (malraux) - (27)
             Easy for you to say - (drook) - (26)
                 Re: Easy for you to say - (Bman) - (19)
                     Not really 'free' - (dmcarls)
                     Until they get mo money from someone else - (scoenye) - (17)
                         Don't think so - (crazy) - (16)
                             't belongs to my employer + Sprint falsely accused - (scoenye) - (15)
                                 I'm happy with the dumb phone - (drook) - (14)
                                     Count yourself lucky - (pwhysall) - (13)
                                         I had a Curve 3300 - (drook)
                                         RIM is still the only semi-secure solution. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                             Not so. - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                                 And you can only "remotely wipe" an iPhone if... - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                                     Shrug - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                                         They clearly don't need it for personal use. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                             Heh, and you're not snooped on *at all*, right? - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                 Of course we're snooped on. I've read the USA PATRIOT Act. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                     Says who? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                         Yes, but he has a REALLY REALLY... - (folkert)
                                                 Android does, too. - (static) - (2)
                                                     Yep. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                         Wouldn't you think banks would hire people who know that? - (drook)
                 Er, no - (malraux) - (5)
                     I don't mean taking it back later - (drook) - (2)
                         If you can get the .. - (Bman)
                         I just got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. - (folkert)
                     Point to check, if you root: - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         It does not with Verizon. - (folkert)

My pain became my strength I am reborn I'm deaf not dumb lest you forget.
612 ms