IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Closed for business
http://mattgemmell.c...sed-for-business/

An argument that closed platforms are better, at least in mobile.

A price-tag of one dollar is passive smoking. You’re killing people around you, for your own short-term benefit. But again, that wasn’t the case here. It wasn’t piracy due to a high price. Instead, this was the endemic casual piracy of convenience.

[...]

Nerds like to say that people care about choice at that level. Nerds are wrong. Nerds care about choice, and nerds are such a tiny minority of people that nobody else much cares what the hell they think. Android is designed with far too much nerd philosophy, and open is gravy to those people because it’s synonymous with customisation.

[...]

If you’re an open-source advocate taking objection to this article on the grounds that I’m somehow different from you, then I’m sorry to tell you that I’m not. I’ve walked the walk. If you’re using an iOS device or a Mac, chances are that some of my code is running on it. You’re genuinely welcome.

But that doesn’t scale to a platform, and it sure as hell doesn’t scale to the third-party developers who are supporting that platform by releasing software for it, thus adding value to the hardware and OS. Open doesn’t work. Open is a route to fragmented user experiences, handset-maker “value-adds” that are actually the old PC preinstalled crapware problem all over again, and customers who can’t get a software update for a year-old device.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Huh?!
It was not all that long ago when hardware was proprietary and 99.999% of software was closed source. (GNU existed then too, but as an odd collection of tools without an OS of its own.) That should have been his utopia. But guess what, developers were screaming just as hard about piracy then as they are today.

This is the old "open source is insecure" argument in slightly rehashed form. All open does is make security through obscurity impossible. Closed platforms harden the target, but they eventually do fall. Queue Alexey Borodin: http://www.theregist...s_ios_inapp_hack/ who found a way to pirate content entirely within the operational parameters of iTunes, the paragon of closed.

In the end, he is free not to develop for Android. If enough follow his lead, Google may be moved to fix the deficiencies he perceives. (I guess that would be "Unbreakable DRM". Good luck with that.)

And the sensible defaults thing is a separate religious war altogether. That has nothing to do with open vs. closed.
New Not how I read it...
He's arguing open access vs. walled garden.

Apple makes it just difficult enough to pirate that most people aren't going to bother. Android, on the other hand, has a culture of piracy almost.

Borodin's hack is a joke perpetrated on developers who didn't read the security best practices part of in-app purchases. Anyone who doesn't check their receipts on their own server instead of the device is doing it wrong.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I guess that's a thing with rants
they can be misread ;-)

But in the end, it doesn't matter, at least not in the context of mobile vs. desktop. The walled garden is always preferable to one looking to extract maximum profit. The platform is irrelevant.
     Closed for business - (malraux) - (3)
         Huh?! - (scoenye) - (2)
             Not how I read it... - (malraux) - (1)
                 I guess that's a thing with rants - (scoenye)

+++ATH
73 ms