IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Door hinge/frame secure/rebuild
I have an inner door that is 100 years old, solid, over 100lbs.
I can barely lift it.

The top hing screws are totally lose in the frame. The frame is a bit cracked along the screw holes as well. Plastic wood filler is meaningless, no secure whatsoever.

The middle hinge is getting lose as well from the weight. The door needs to be lifted to fully close.

So what do I do? Can I secure it as is with something like Liquid Nails? Glue the frame, then glue/screw the hinge, THEN attach the door?

Or do I need a full frame rebuild?
New The trim doesn't support the weight.
You need screws that reach into the 2x4s behind the trim pieces. With luck, slightly thicker, slightly longer screws will do the job for you.

I have a hollow bathroom door with hinge problems. Unfortunately, longer/thicker screws won't work because there are large nails in the 2x4s where the hinge screws need to be. So I'll eventually have to remove the trim and work on the 2x4s (removing the big nails in the way, repairing the 2x4s and refastening it somehow...)

HTH a bit. Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New In addition to what Scott said
If you are already using large screws, instead of plastic wood you can drive a thin wooden dowel rod into the hole and drive the screw into that. I've used chopsticks with thinner nails. I've done this with hollow doors with no problem. With a solid door, you might want to try putting some glue on the dowel before insertion. Just a thought...
New I've done that trick with popsicle sticks
--

Drew
New Already using big screws
Replaced the shorter ones.
Anything shoved in there to firm it up will end up splitting the frame.
I don't see/feel a 2x4 behind it.

Grr.
I'll get my daughter's boyfriend to deal with it, he's a cabinet maker.
New (Crazy post above==invisible, til refresh.. )
Somewhere there's a Yes/No alternating toggle in the Show-Post mix, maybe?

Edit: meaningless! because My Post hasn't yet made it past the Yes/No/Maybe tri-state logic. Yet.
(My Post does appear if the Top post is clickied--just not in forum main display. Yet.)

Edit2: Heh.. now my original post re using epoxy + shims is gone, even after clickifying top post from main menu:
and THIS one (opened to Edit) showed 2 edits--presumably one of those does have My Original Post?

fwiw
Expand Edited by Ashton July 20, 2012, 06:57:02 PM EDT
Expand Edited by Ashton July 20, 2012, 07:00:11 PM EDT
Expand Edited by Ashton July 20, 2012, 07:04:16 PM EDT
     Door hinge/frame secure/rebuild - (crazy) - (5)
         The trim doesn't support the weight. - (Another Scott)
         In addition to what Scott said - (hnick) - (3)
             I've done that trick with popsicle sticks -NT - (drook)
             Already using big screws - (crazy)
             (Crazy post above==invisible, til refresh.. ) - (Ashton)

The recommended age to have a Ouija board is 8+ years. So you have to be 21 to drink alcohol but only 8 to summon the devil.
58 ms