Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Recipe review
Take some normal, tasty bananas.
Curry them. Too much.
Add coconut milk.

Fight gag reflex, and serve.

This recipe was eaten the other night by CRConrad, who reports it as "delicious, even though it does look like turds in snot".

--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Re: Recipe review
Our Shill goes:
Take some normal, tasty bananas.
Somewhat over-ripe ones, actually, in my case -- and I suspect raw, almost green, ones would be better: They're harder, and won't go to complete mush (in the step you missed).

Curry them. Too much.
And FRY them, numbskull! (In a pan, with a little butter.) And it's not like the "too much" bit was intentional.

Add coconut milk.
Yeah. What's wrong with that? Oh, and LET IT SIMMER for a good long while so the bananas go softer and the coconut milk is reduced and thickened. Stir it all around a bit to dsistribute the curry evenly throughout the sauce.

Fight gag reflex, and serve.
Depends on how much your "gag reflex" is governed by your eyes -- but I admit it's not the *prettiest* of sights... Oh, and WAIT a bit before you serve it, so you won't burn the tongue out of your mouth; bananas hold heat, it seems like, for ever.

This recipe was eaten the other night by CRConrad, who reports it as "delicious, even though it does look like turds in snot".
Duh! Not so.

I *said*, "Turds In Sewage" or "Turds In Diarrhea".

But it *was* really good, even so.

Shill For Hire
You mean "ShRill For Hire", don't you?

The Man Who Fucking Knows Fucking Gourmet Cooking
New Hmmm...
Leave out the curry. Replace with cinnamon. Perhaps regular milk instead of coconut milk.

And serve over ice cream. Or even better, gelato if you can get it.

-YendorMike
In order to understand recursion, one must understand recursion.
New I think you're missing the point here...
Da Yendor goes:
Leave out the curry.
Uh... Then they wouldn't be curried bananas any more, now would they? And given that that (albeit, not over-) was the original point of the whole excercise, you're talking about something else entirely here, AFAICS.

Replace with cinnamon.
Yup, that might work[*], too -- but it would be a whole nuther kettle of fish! (Take that as Cockney rhyming slang for "dish", if you like... :-)

Perhaps regular milk instead of coconut milk.
Sure, that might work... In your dish.

In mine, the whole point was to use the sweetness of the coconut milk to counteract the inadvertent surfeit of curry (without resorting to "cheating" like just dumping in a load of sugar and be done with it), so ordinary cow's milk wouldn't have worked. (And I didn't happen to have any in stock either, AFAICR.)

(Oh, and this substitution would of course rob the dish of the "Coco-" part of its name, leaving it just a stub "Cabanana Blaps". Yet another proof it's something else entirely you're talking about.)

And serve over ice cream.
This is the point I agree the most with you on -- that might have worked very very nicely!

I suppose the main reason I never thought of that was because I'm so tired of the standard dessert fare at Chinese restaurants at least here in Scandahoovia; bananas deep-fried in batter, and served with (almost always far too cold and hard) vanilla ice cream and syrup. But, hey, to be fair: The fault for that lies not with the ice cream, but with the unimaginative Chinese restaurateurs!

So yeah, I'll try that next time. Or, to be utterly nit-pickingly specific, I'll put the bananas next to the ice cream, and only the sauce over the top... Maybe letting the sauce drip off the bananas a little while before serving will even make 'em look less like "turds"! :-)

Or even better, gelato if you can get it.
Not to put too fine a point on it, signor Vitale, but isn't "gelato" just the Italian word for "ice cream"[**]? Come on, Mike -- you know how I can't stand fancy-talk just for the sake of fancy-talking...!
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who, By Definition, Knows Fucking Everything There Is To Know About Cococabanana Blaps

[*]: Though I won't swear to it. You ever tried a banana-cinnamon combination? I haven't... To me, that sounds at least as dubious as bananas and curry apparently does to most everybody else here. But whether you belive in it or not, the banana-curry combo has actually stood the test of time: I (and my four younger sisters) have eaten -- and enjoyed! -- it, every now and then, for almost as long as I can remember.

[**]: Possibly only for the much more watery and less creamy Eyetie kind? Naah -- what would they call ordinary cream ice cream then, if not also "gelato"...? In fact, I'm fairly sure that's what they do call it.
New Serving with ice cream... would make them...
Turds ala grode?
Regards,

-scott anderson
New gr\ufffdde, perhaps?_________or Argentina?
New Gelato != ice cream
If you've ever had American ice cream and Italian gelato, you would know that they're most definitely *NOT* the same. Gelato is muuuch creamier and smoother than about 99% of any American ice creams that I've ever tasted. Especially the general-consumption stuff that you'll find in your supermarket over here for $4.00 a half gallon.

-YendorMike
In order to understand recursion, one must understand recursion.
New As always, the difference boils down to semantics.
The way we (at least Northern and non-British) Europeans use the expression "ice cream", it refers to both creamy smooth Italian gelato AND, uh, ice cream (however non-creamy and un-smooth) from all other countries, including the U. S. of A.
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Gelato = ice cream in Italian
In Italian, "gelato" does just mean ice cream, and as I recall, it's definitely possible to buy some not very good ice cream there. We used to get a deal on big buckets of a certain brand of ice cream from a family friend who was a sales rep... definitely quantity over quality. But I'll hand it to you that your average italian gelateria will have some pretty delectable flavors.

In English, it has become SOP to use a generic foreign word to denote (and add cachet to) a specific, usually overpriced, foreign-style item. ("Biscotti" just means cookies, "latte" means milk--it's slightly ridiculous.) When I used to order a "double espresso" at Starbucks, they always corrected me--it's "Doppio" (Dopey-oh) to them. If they must use a Disney character to represent their double espresso, they should have the couth to choose a less insulting one.

Make mine a Grumpy-oh.

Giovanni
New Ice Cream, ice cream and Ice cream.
What passes for "ice cream" in the English speaking world has often been "ice confection" which is a good approximation. I don't know the difference, but I suspect it has something to do with the quantity of milk in the making.

However, when I was learning Italian at school, my teacher - who had spent quite some time in Italy - said that although "gelato" is Italian for "ice cream", it is actually made substantially differently and is therefore a somewhat different product. Thus the reason for the original borrowing of the term from Italian to English. It is likely that this may no longer be the case.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New fried curried bananas
sounds good except fore the coconut milk (I dont like coconut) would replace that with buttermilk.
Had something good in Georgia the other day.
Take a corn cob, cut in half, dip in a slightly sweet batter then deep fry that sucker. Serve along side of Jimbo's pit pig ribs and turnip green and skillet beans. It is a 7 hr drive but I will make it again sometime.
thanx,
bill
can I have my ones and zeros back?
New Just use less curry then
I only used the coconut milk in order for its sweetness to counteract the fact that I'd used (by mistrake) waaaay too much curry, and using sugar (if I even had any, can't recall any more) would have felt like "cheating".

Originally[*], the dish doesn't have any milk at all, coconut- or other. If you use a "reasonable" amount of curry, the natural sweetness of the bananas themselves balances it out quite nicely.

Thanks for the vote of confidence -- you seem to be the first (besides me) to think it sounds good!

Cut the corn cob in half length-wise or across? (Or, is it even really necessary at all?)

[*] To me, this is an age-old recipe; my Mutti fed me and my sisters this since at least the mid-seventies. I always assumed she'd picked it up from somewhere, but since absolutely nobody seems to have ever heard of it before, perhaps it was an original Mutti Conrad invention.
   Christian R. Conrad
New my favorite use for curry
is to mix it with hellmans mayonaise to dip meat into. Beats the heck out of catsup.
thanx,
bill
New The German "Currywurst"...
...is -- or at least was, in the eighties when I last checked -- a favourite at "Imbiss"es (Hot dog stands) across the country. It consists of a Bratwurst (usually sliced IIRC), and lots of curry powder mixed into... Ketchup! (Or however one wants to spell it.) Never any big fave of mine, but my kid sisters loved it.
   Christian R. Conrad
New when making one type of sausage I use a lot of curry,
coriander, fennel and anise seeds, makes a nicely flavored sausage.
thanx,
bill
New "If you can eat it, we can fry it."
There was a fried veggies stand at an air show a few years ago. They had fried onions, fried mushrooms, fried pickles, fried ... waitaminnit. Fried pickles? Yep. Pretty good, too. They had the slogan (from the subject) on their sign. Someone asked if they fried pickles. They hadn't before, but went to a local grocery store and got a big jar of deli-style dills. Battered, deep fried, yumm. I didn't see corn on their menu, but it seems reasonable.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New Which curry?
My understanding is that there are many types of curry.

It's like mustard. You have everything from plain yellow to brown to spicy with seeds.

If so, which type of curry are you using?
Darryl A. Peterson

I'm not as funny as I think I am.
New milk turd brown (mild)-m
New Yeah, what's called "Curry" (=just plain), up here...
...in the Scandahoovian countries is a fairly yellowish(-tan?)-brown mild powder.

The choice, like, *doubled* when thy introduced "Extra Strong" curry powder a few years ago...!   :-)   This is perhaps a little darker, and actually quite a lot stronger -- just about perfect as a spice for regular food.

But I think that'd be too strong for this dish, which is after all supposed to balance with the sweetness of bananas, a usually not especially sweet fruit.

But Heck, what do *I* know...!? Experiment -- that's what cooking's all about! :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
New Gave it a try...
The sweetness and the curry do offset one another.

However, I didn't like the flavor of the curry that much.

However, the banana was just past green and I had to add some milk in order to get the banana mushed up enough to mix with the curry.

I'm going to try this at least one more time with a riper banana and see what happens.

I'll let you know how it works out.
Darryl A. Peterson

I'm not as funny as I think I am.
New Not necessarily supposed to "mix", exactly...
Think of it more as curry-coated bananas. To some extent, it's absorbed into the surface; the more so the longer you fry 'em.

Which is why it's an advantage not to use over-ripe ones: Then they don't go to total mush, but rather achieve the consistency of... eh, a (very) limp dick.
   Christian R. Conrad
New so it is not fried curried banana patties?
coat the banana then chase it around the skillet as opposed to mash together into a pattie and fry.
thanx,
bill
New Not originally, no -- but, hey...
...everybody's free to invent their own variations! :-)

Only I don't think mashing 'em would work; not just like that, mash 'em and you're done. Mashed bananas are far too gooey to hold together in "patties" all by themselves, AFAICS. I suspect you'd have to add flour or eggs or both, make it into a kind of batter.

And that would be a whole new, different, dish. But who knows, maybe it's an even better one!
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Nothing About Fried Curried Banana Patties
New well banana scrambled eggs are good, add curry. -m
New OT how many hrs -zulu are you timezone wise? -m
New +2. Y?
New -5 so yer 7hrs ahead. thanx
     Recipe review - (pwhysall) - (26)
         Re: Recipe review - (CRConrad) - (14)
             Hmmm... - (Yendor) - (7)
                 I think you're missing the point here... - (CRConrad) - (6)
                     Serving with ice cream... would make them... - (admin) - (1)
                         gr\ufffdde, perhaps?_________or Argentina? -NT - (ashton2)
                     Gelato != ice cream - (Yendor) - (3)
                         As always, the difference boils down to semantics. - (CRConrad)
                         Gelato = ice cream in Italian - (GBert) - (1)
                             Ice Cream, ice cream and Ice cream. - (static)
             fried curried bananas - (boxley) - (5)
                 Just use less curry then - (CRConrad) - (4)
                     my favorite use for curry - (boxley) - (2)
                         The German "Currywurst"... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             when making one type of sausage I use a lot of curry, - (boxley)
                     "If you can eat it, we can fry it." - (drewk)
         Which curry? - (dpeterson) - (10)
             milk turd brown (mild)-m -NT - (boxley)
             Yeah, what's called "Curry" (=just plain), up here... - (CRConrad) - (8)
                 Gave it a try... - (dpeterson) - (7)
                     Not necessarily supposed to "mix", exactly... - (CRConrad) - (6)
                         so it is not fried curried banana patties? - (boxley) - (5)
                             Not originally, no -- but, hey... - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                 well banana scrambled eggs are good, add curry. -m -NT - (boxley)
                                 OT how many hrs -zulu are you timezone wise? -m -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                     +2. Y? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         -5 so yer 7hrs ahead. thanx -NT - (boxley)

Screw it, we're fighting Cirque de Soleil! Run for your life!
116 ms