IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Degraded RAID array on the server
I've been seeing messages in my inbox the last couple of days about a degraded RAID array on this server. I haven't bothered to look into it because I'm busy.

Well, last night, there was a leap second added to the world. Java doesn't play nicely with leap seconds ( http://bugs.sun.com/...do?bug_id=4272347 ). Twitter was all sorts of astir with people complaining about their Linux systems going crazy due to the leap second. So when I ssh'ed into the server this morning, I saw a load of over 6 (that's bad, but not UBER-crazy. I've seen loads north of 140 before.) So I decided to reboot the server.

Bad idea.

After about 20 minutes of the server not responding to further SSH requests, I finally went upstairs, turned on the monitor and plugged in a keyboard. Black screen. Hmmm. Reboot via the power button. I finally figured out that I had to add "bootdegraded=true" to the GRUB boot configuration. But that's probably not a long-term solution.

So I need to figure out what the long-term solution IS.

Just keeping you up-to-date as to what the story is. There's no solution yet.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Thanks for the update. Good luck.
Let us know if you want some $ for new hardware. You've been very kind to us for a long time.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Degraded RAID array on the server
Mike, I'm here 'til about 4:20PM ET...

Back after 6:15PM ET.

I get to Usher the 5PM service.
     Degraded RAID array on the server - (mvitale) - (2)
         Thanks for the update. Good luck. - (Another Scott)
         Re: Degraded RAID array on the server - (folkert)

Everybody knows the 'Linux' facade is just the skorry chepooka, til we shvat the strack of Vesch 6.66a.
33 ms