IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Rank the TODO list!
First, read the [link|/forums/TODO|TODO] list, then rank them in the order you'd like to see things.

Regards,

-scott anderson
New Re: Rank the TODO list!
Page titles
Parent thread listing above content (user-configurable, of course)
Killfiles
Show new fora only
Don't show LRPD for anons
CSS
Admin interface
Pagination
Mail-on-response

-YendorMike
In order to understand recursion, one must understand recursion.
New Re: Rank the TODO list!
Then, post responses in the cunningly titled "Suggestions" forum.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New That's what I like about you, Peter...
You're SOOOOOOOO helpful.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New *Bow*
One does one's best :)
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Cursory comments
Personally, I think you are on the verge of having this thing ready. I'd prioritize it along the lines of structural integrity (html, forms, logins), user configuration, and administration. Knowing your proclivities, I'd assume that the backend is on a solid foundation, so I'm venturing that you got that sauced - getting the database store & fetch is always the first order of business.

Search: Not important until such time as we get more content.

Parent thread listing above content: Not important for me, since I usually know what I'm replying to.

NNTP Gateway: Will become important at some point, but as long as you keep it in the back of your mind with the current design it's not something we've had in the past so it's not missed.

Mail-on-response: I dislike that feature so consider it very low priority.

Administrative interface: Who cares about adminstrators? Probably important, so do what you must. While we're on the subject, what manner of archiving scheme are you envisioning?

Killfiles: Not something I'm of the mind to use until the S/N ratio gets out of whack.

Show New Forums Only: As long as we have the LRPD to flag the forums with new messages, not important.

Single SQL for forum list: can you explain?

pagination on forum displays: Will become important very soon.

Don't show lrpd for Anon users: Not priority.

Mark forum category read: Not priority.

Collapse forum categories: Not priority.

Alternative nesting spacing on showContent: can you explain?

Factor posting functionality (quote buttons disappearing, etc): Important. What I'd like to see is a lot of those buttons removed based on the user configuration. For example, I never use signatures so I really don't want to see that on my forms. The size buttons probably don't need to be on the form - just a user config parameter.

Duplicate post prevention: Not priority.

Fix CSS usage: Based on the number of different browsers IWETHEY users have, it's probably an important item.

Stats: Later.

User-selectable caching controls for dynamic pages: User configuration setup I would presume. Might be nice to knock this one out of the way soon.

Page titles: I would think that it shan't be too difficult, so I'd have this one as a high priority.

Move authentication to Login Manager: What are the implications?
New Re: Cursory comments
Personally, I think you are on the verge of having this thing ready. I'd prioritize it along the lines of structural integrity (html, forms, logins), user configuration, and administration. Knowing your proclivities, I'd assume that the backend is on a solid foundation, so I'm venturing that you got that sauced - getting the database store & fetch is always the first order of business.

It seems solid... I dont' have enough datapoints to tell yet. I'm at the mercy of the database drivers and so forth, and there have been a few signs of nastiness.

Administrative interface: Who cares about adminstrators? Probably important, so do what you must. While we're on the subject, what manner of archiving scheme are you envisioning?

That's part of the administration... I'd really like del, edit, and move thread/subthread. Move can be used for archiving.

Single SQL for forum list: can you explain?

Optimization. Right now there are several SELECTs performed to build the first page, and I discovered some Zope functionality that will allow me to build the page easily with a single SELECT.

Some people don't like the use of tables for nesting.

Factor posting functionality (quote buttons disappearing, etc): Important. What I'd like to see is a lot of those buttons removed based on the user configuration. For example, I never use signatures so I really don't want to see that on my forms. The size buttons probably don't need to be on the form - just a user config parameter.

Noted.

Move authentication to Login Manager: What are the implications?

I think the authentication ZProduct I'm using now is causing me the Lock Exception difficulties with Versioning. Versioning will allow us to work on the site without affecting the current version. Also, Login Manager does cookie-based authentication too, which is something Peter wanted.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Nesting

Some people don't like the use of tables for nesting.

IMO, the best way to do the nesting is to use nested <UL> The unordered list was designed with exactly that purpose in mind - they will download and display faster than tables or arbitrary space constants.

There are two downsides to using lists. First, the original IWE forums would indent too far per each level. I think you could solve that via CSS control over the margins per nesting level in the list.

Second, when the right hand shift came in, the wrapping would occur after practically every word. Perhaps a nobr type of thing to keep the text on one line?

Anyhow, you might consider using CSS and unordered lists as the solution.
New CSS isn't a universal solution
Lynx and older browsers don't support it.

I think I'm going to end up with several user-selectable methods.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New For sure...
...the worst case is probably not those browsers, but earlier versions that think they can but had all sorts of bugs.

I think Lynx will ignore the CSS, but you'd still probably be better off using Lists for the indentation - it'd just look like the original nesting that we had on IWE.

Of course, user selectable methods are the best alternative, as long as the software can handle it. Means you'll have to isolate the features as best as possible, and do some additional testing with the major releases. But since EZBoard never seemed to test things, you have a pretty low standard to live up to. :-)
New Lynx works pretty well as it stands.
Indentation seems to work well in Lynx.

As far as testing goes... I would feel better if Zope had some proper unit testing tools. Maybe I'll just have to create some.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New The ones I think we need to draw folks here..
Outside of the usual supects, I mean...

1. Factor posting functionality (quote buttons disappearing, etc)
  2. Things that don't work right need high priority.
  3. Search
  4. We'll need this sooner than later, I think. New visitors here will want it, as well
  5. Don't show lrpd for Anon users
  6. Dilutes the LRPD, this. *grin*
  7. Duplicate post prevention
  8. Anything that makes the posters look better, is a good thing (at least if we want posters!).
  9. Mail-on-response
  10. Handy - and to be cynical, it might make ziwethey more 'sticky' for new users - if someone posts with this option, later on, they'll get an email reminder that we exist, and that someone is resonding to them... therefore, they'll be more likely to return. Anonymous 'remailing' as an option for registered users might also be good...
  11. Parent thread listing above content
  12. I really like this, so it's gotta be good!
  13. Page titles
  14. Good for bookmarking pages
  15. Mark forum category read
  16. Increases useability - especially 'down the line', when we have more content and users coming here. The more convenient it is to get to the content you want, the easier it is to filter out what you don't want to see, the more pleasant the interface, I think.
  17. Administrative interface
  18. The less the administrative burden, the better the site will run - and multiple admins will be a good thing!
  19. NNTP Gateway
  20. The more clients available, the better....
  21. pagination on forum displays
  22. Easing the burden on non-broadband users is only the social thing to do.
  23. Stats
  24. Well, we might not need this, but I'd like to see it.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait

• Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
New Good point there
Anonymous 'remailing' as an option for registered users might also be good...

No kidding. That would be most excellent. Keep our email spam-free, but still be able to get a hold of each other.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New Data point
Search -- Getting to the point we need this already, IMO
pagination on forum displays -- Same as above

Show New Forums Only / Collapse forum categories -- I assume you'll be adding more for[a/ums/ibuses] soon. One of these will (IMO) have to be done as soon as the total list of for[a/ums/ibuses] is longer than one screen. If both work, even better, but either should be sufficient.

Administrative interface -- If this is what we need to get more admins, I think you're about to need this pretty badly. (Unless you plan on making this your full-time gig.)

Mail-on-response -- I can only see using this when I post a very specific question in Area 51, but for that it would be great.

Mark forum category read -- For the people who would do this (eg: skipping the Open category) I think this would work better as a user-configurable option. From the user settings, select not to see that category. Since (I suspect) the list of active for[a/ums/ibuses] will be somewhat dynamic, I don't think that evel of control from the user settings would be useful.

Page titles -- Does add useful information, and shouldn't be too difficult.

Fix CSS usage -- As long as the page still works without CSS, this can wait. Although, I would prefer that all formatting that is done use CSS. No point in having to go back and take out all the font tags once people finally get standards-compliant browsers.

Alternative nesting spacing on showContent -- I don't have any problems with the current settings. But if there are setups where this is a problem, it's pretty important.

User-selectable caching controls for dynamic pages -- Same as above. I'm on a fat pipe and don't see any problems. I'll let you know if using it from home changes my mind.

Parent thread listing above content -- Nice, but it can wait
Don't show lrpd for Anon users -- Same as above
Stats -- Same as above

Duplicate post prevention -- Has this been a problem? I haven't seen it, but it should be fixed eventually.

NNTP Gateway -- Wouldn't change the way I use this, but it would make the overall package much more versatile

Killfiles -- Until/unless we get about five times the traffic we do now, I can do this by just not reading all of it. I don't see the need yet.

The rest seem like code maintainability more than usability.
Single SQL for forum list
Factor posting functionality (quote buttons disappearing, etc)
Move authentication to Login Manager
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New Okay, I was wrong.
In order from highest priority to lowest:

Fix CSS usage
Administrative interface
Duplicate post prevention
Don't show lrpd for Anon users
Factor posting functionality (quote buttons disappearing, etc)
Search
User-selectable caching controls for dynamic pages
Stats

Of course, once you get down here, everything is more-or-less the same.

Mark forum category read
Collapse forum categories
Parent thread listing above content
Page titles
NNTP Gateway
Mail-on-response
Killfiles
Show New Forums Only
Alternative nesting spacing on showContent
Move authentication to Login Manager
Pagination on forum displays
Single SQL for forum list

I think the CSS/HTML should be addressed first because I think that would be easiest to change now rather than later. And an Admin Interface would let other people Do What Needs To Be Done that doesn't involve coding.

Duplicate Post Prevention and No LRPD to Anon users are important parts of the casual user experience. They shouldn't be forgotten about or we will eventually get newbies complaining about them. The Quote button interface etc is similar, but I think we can spend some time to explore options with that. Rather than a line of buttons for quoting, a dropdown box to select the style and a single button "Quote" would look better. It may also let you add a default quoting style to a user's preference sheet, and even arrange for pre-quoted replies by default.

Search is important, but right now we can afford to wait a little while because there's not that much content to be searched right now. But don't wait too long.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New CSS/HTML
This morning in the shower I thought of how I can break up the site rendering aspects to present as many different UI styles as we'd like -- one of which would be CSS. I think I'm going to put that off a bit as a result.

I like your quote button change idea. That's a much better way of doing it.
Regards,

-scott anderson
     Rank the TODO list! - (admin) - (15)
         Re: Rank the TODO list! - (Yendor)
         Re: Rank the TODO list! - (pwhysall) - (2)
             That's what I like about you, Peter... - (admin) - (1)
                 *Bow* - (pwhysall)
         Cursory comments - (CrisR) - (5)
             Re: Cursory comments - (admin) - (4)
                 Nesting - (CrisR) - (3)
                     CSS isn't a universal solution - (admin) - (2)
                         For sure... - (CrisR) - (1)
                             Lynx works pretty well as it stands. - (admin)
         The ones I think we need to draw folks here.. - (imric) - (1)
             Good point there - (drewk)
         Data point - (drewk)
         Okay, I was wrong. - (static) - (1)
             CSS/HTML - (admin)

You sly ol' iconoclast, you...
88 ms