IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Google Compute Engine - massive scaling
Could have gone in hardware too, but better here.

http://www.theregist...e_compute_engine/

To illustrate the power of Compute Engine, Hölzle talked about the Cancer Regulome Explorer application created by the Institute for Systems Biology, which used to run its genome-matching algorithms, used in cancer research, on an internal cluster with 1,000 cores. On this machine, the Genome Explorer app took 10 minutes to find a match on a particular segment of the chromosomes between two samples.

After a few days, the Cancer Regulome Explorer application was ported to a mix of App Engine and Compute Engine, with 2,000 cores dedicated to the job, and just by doubling the capacity, it was able to make connections about every two seconds or so.

[...]

While Hölzle was talking, the live demo genome app was quietly scaling out, and eventually was running on over 770,000 cores in one of Google's data centers, and the links were popping up faster than you could see.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New very neat
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New If they had some good visualizations going ...
That could have been one hell of a demo.
--

Drew
     Google Compute Engine - massive scaling - (malraux) - (2)
         very neat -NT - (boxley)
         If they had some good visualizations going ... - (drook)

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here.
61 ms