Welcome to IWETHEY!

New display fun
running at full resolution.
http://www.macrumors...x1800-resolution/

such itty bitty text
http://cdn.macrumors...book_pro_2880.jpg

Driving 3 external monitors
http://blog.macsales...external-displays
New I didn't appreciate what they were doing. Thanks.
New What weren't you appreciating?
I mean... what was so bad about it?
New The scaling.
I was thinking it would run at the native resolution. I knew they were making double-density icons and do forth, but I hadn't put two and two together. I didn't appreciate that the screen would have the same real-estate as a 1440 x 900 screen while in "Retina" mode. Of course, thinking about it for more than a few seconds, it's obvious.

It's good that you can run it in other resolutions. Lots of times I want more real estate to minimizing paging and scrolling.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: The scaling.
Ok.

And you guys really wonder why I don't appreciate Apple. Sure they make good stuff... but doing things like that, really torques me.

This is just one more of those things that piss me off about hampering the hardware for apparent gain.

I mean damn, I WANT the full resolution at 17" not half resolution with greater clarity at 15"...

Meh. Keep getting fed this kind of stuff. I don't like it and also making the thing un-serviceable... screw that.
New that majorly sucks (from the comments)
I gather that you are CONFIRMING that making a “Full-Screen App” go full screen DOES in fact render the other three monitors blank (ie: the grey linen background) and therefore you can do NOTHING with the other monitors.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Re: that majorly sucks (from the comments)
Hell, that is a Feature. They know what is best for you... don't yah know.

Same thing happens on my Mac Mini and the iMac with the TV being used as a 2nd display.

Meh.
New wierd from my macbook
I could use a second screen full display of virtual box linux while laptop could do its thing just fine. I was really ready to buy another macbook since the first one may be gone another year. Not now, fuck mac
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Maximize isn't good enough?
Not making excuses for Apple about this (though additional comments there say they're looking into it for Mountain Lion), but Maximizing window isn't good enough?

I understand if you're playing a game or something that needs to genuinely grab all the video, but that doesn't seem to be what you're describing.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who hasn't read the thread in question at Apple.)
New Suppose this...
You want to display a full HD video on you primary screen... at full 1080p. Only way to get it is to full screen the thing.

That *THEN* turns the other screen(s) into Grey backgrounds. not allowing you to and use them. Such as using a virtual box machine in the other window. Of doing to spreadsheetings or wordy docuemnty thingers... or even browsing the ENTARNETS...

Nope, just that one thing for you!
New Ok, but when I watch movies, I generally watch movies.
The exception is when I'm watching a movie while having a laptop in my lap.

I can see why it might be handy, say if you want a screen without the menu bar and so forth while doing some photo editing or something, but I don't see it as a huge problem for a desktop computing arrangement.

YMMV, of course. :-)

I wonder why they set it up to behave this way...

Apparently they want you to use "Mission Control" to switch between full screen apps - http://www.macworld....ple_monitors.html

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Next generation MacBook Pro sounds nice. - (Another Scott) - (42)
         $2199 - (SpiceWare) - (22)
             That has "business expense" written all over it... -NT - (malraux) - (4)
                 Yup. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     8G of RAM isn't enough for some people - (malraux) - (2)
                         Ah, it goes up to 16G - (malraux) - (1)
                             Whew! I can get mine in ~2015, then.. -NT - (Ashton)
             $2800 for the 2.6 GHz/8 GB/512 GB version. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                 looks like the RAM you buy at purchase time is all you get - (SpiceWare) - (10)
                     Now THAT is annoying. - (malraux)
                     confirmed - (SpiceWare) - (8)
                         Re: confirmed - (malraux)
                         Apple want it to be disposable, not upgradeable. - (static) - (6)
                             Actually it seems they wanted it thin. - (malraux) - (5)
                                 Agreed. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                     I hadn't thought of that. - (static)
                                     Re: Agreed. - (mvitale) - (1)
                                         They used a unique connector. - (Another Scott)
                                 not just Apple - (SpiceWare)
             No 17" model anymore. - (folkert) - (4)
                 Not really. - (malraux) - (3)
                     The heck! - (folkert) - (2)
                         I'm not saying you don't know what you want. - (malraux) - (1)
                             I guess. - (folkert)
         AnandTech reviews the Retina model - (SpiceWare)
         Ars review - (SpiceWare) - (1)
             A very good review. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         display fun - (SpiceWare) - (10)
             I didn't appreciate what they were doing. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 What weren't you appreciating? - (folkert) - (2)
                     The scaling. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Re: The scaling. - (folkert)
             that majorly sucks (from the comments) - (boxley) - (5)
                 Re: that majorly sucks (from the comments) - (folkert) - (4)
                     wierd from my macbook - (boxley) - (3)
                         Maximize isn't good enough? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             Suppose this... - (folkert) - (1)
                                 Ok, but when I watch movies, I generally watch movies. - (Another Scott)
         AnandTech - (SpiceWare) - (4)
             Summary of all the reviews: - (malraux) - (2)
                 it'd be interesting to know what % upgrade their RAM - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                     8G is a lot - (malraux)
             Now for the *Real* "designers" here.. - (Ashton)

I'll see you on the dark side of the Moon.
83 ms