IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Drobo mini
slick looking portable raid box.

http://www.drobo.com...bo-mini/index.php

Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 connections. Uses 4 laptop drives. Optionally uses a mSATA SDD drive for caching. Supports HFS+ for Mac and NTFS for Windows. Can configure for single or dual drive redundancy.

A friend has the 4-bay Drobo and he's quite happy with it. He said he started with just 2 drives and added more as he filled it up. Once fully expanded, just hot swap small disks with large ones to increase capacity. He hasn't had to do that yet.

His Mac sees it at as 16TB drive no matter what the actual capacity is, so when he's increased capacity it was transparent to the Mac.

I'll most likely get the Drobo mini to use with the Mac mini I plan to replace DirecTV with.

New I am getting really old. Ash? Is this language murder?
Nevermind the redundant "valuable assets" (are there some other kind?)

This phrase struck me as very peculiar:
So now you can take and access your valuable digital assets wherever you go.

"Digital assets". Wow. I can remember when they were just bits on a disk or even "just data". Now they're "assets". Wow.
New Well... mayhem perhaps.
"Valuable Assets" == obtusely redundant ("valuable" banknotes??)

Valuable digital assets? Ummm, seems just the usual bizness-major puffery as,
OK.. much of the cruft in anyone's computer is about just keeping the OS + attachments happily subservient.
But the DATA is unique, so I guess "valuable"
--as distinguished from re-loadable routine stuff?--might squeak through as not quite a

Language Hatchet Job.

We are, of course, inured to the jillions of daily sound-bites as dance around the solid FACT that,
Bizness aims to persuade.. not to teach; surely NOT to enlighten!. Ergo,
Every ad LIES, at some level of omission or commission, IMO. Right?

Solution: move to Bhutan.
(They also use modrin 'lectronic stuff there, as is only sane; what they appear not-to-do is worship it)
... nor settle for the satisfiction of affluenza, aka insatiable desire for more/More/MORE.
New Okay, but I still object to data being deemed valuable.
In the sense that I'd rather have Clemens handwritten Huckleberry Finn than the text in a file or files on a flash drive or on platters. There is nothing human about digital files, no intrinsic value to them at all. Once digitized, all value and meaning is lost (listen to vinyl or better yet, a live performance and compare/contrast with your favorite digital format of the same piece). Digital pictures are more precisely described as digital approximations of actual photographs which can be copied, cropped, etc. freely billions of times - thus cheapening them to the point of zero value. I think any honest assessment of private use of computer technology would conclude that it has been a net negative on society. And one from which society may never recover. As always, YMMV.
New can I have my ones and zeros back?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Why?
     Drobo mini - (SpiceWare) - (5)
         I am getting really old. Ash? Is this language murder? - (mmoffitt) - (4)
             Well... mayhem perhaps. - (Ashton) - (3)
                 Okay, but I still object to data being deemed valuable. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     can I have my ones and zeros back? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                         Why? -NT - (mmoffitt)

It looks like someone sewed pieces of a waterlogged Reagan mask together at gunpoint.
77 ms