IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The Cloud Is Not For You
http://justcramer.co...d-is-not-for-you/
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Interesting.
It's nice to see some discussion of things like that. The comments are good too.

I'd never heard the term "dynos" before - https://devcenter.he...om/articles/dynos . Reading that, I have to wonder if it's abstraction for the sake of abstraction, though. :-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Been looking at stuff like this
There's a baseline cost for having your own server. Cross that baseline and you can handle shitloads of traffic. Up to that, you're trying to save $20/mo by just barely keeping up with your traffic.
--

Drew
New been doing a lot of cloud lately
lets just say that caas (computing as a service) should be rename caak (computing as a krock) now if one wants to so a real study of the costs and benefits of the cloud, check out the spammers using botnets.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Bwahahaha!
We're looking at cloud computing in my firm as well. Our use profile is pretty good according to this article. We have our own systems that can handle our baseline traffic (and then some) and we have predictable periods where traffic will spike, which is when we're going to spin up lots of VMs to handle those peaks.

CAAK is fantastic... and yeah, the spammers were there long before the big firms had clouds anywhere other than in the heads of their executive level management.
New I may get to architect the tools to manage a cloud
under a private little venture later this year
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Trying to imagine the levels of abstraction in that thought
I'm running out of fingers.
--

Drew
New Sounds pretty interesting
hope it goes well for you folks.
New didnt, involved too much face time in Santa Clara :-(
     The Cloud Is Not For You - (malraux) - (8)
         Interesting. - (Another Scott)
         Been looking at stuff like this - (drook) - (6)
             been doing a lot of cloud lately - (boxley) - (5)
                 Bwahahaha! - (jake123) - (4)
                     I may get to architect the tools to manage a cloud - (boxley) - (3)
                         Trying to imagine the levels of abstraction in that thought - (drook)
                         Sounds pretty interesting - (jake123) - (1)
                             didnt, involved too much face time in Santa Clara :-( -NT - (boxley)

All that did was remind me of the fruit in the "Sledgehammer" video by Peter Gabriel.
106 ms