IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New P88 and P89 are both 850 @ Toshiba
The specs are identical (http://laptops.techc...-Portege-R835-P88). Retail price differences may be due to discounts to get the P88s out the door.

The i5 is definitely the best value out of that series. Unless you really need the bit of extra oomph the i7 provides, the cost doesn't scale well.
New It's a neat little box.
It took a few days for B&H to ship it, but I did get it for $700. I then had to pick it up at UPS today (they had to have a signature).

I'm still configuring it, but so far I'm very impressed. It's very light weight and doesn't burn up my lap. I can hear the fan, but it's not loud or annoying - it's a whisper.

It came with Chrome pre-installed as one of the browser choices (IE is the other, of course). It has some sort of trial-ware Norton Internet Security. Adobe Reader X. And some Toshiba utilities. But very little shovelware. Office is described in a flyer, but I'm not tempted. ;-)

It's much faster than my 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo work laptop.

The keyboard is a "chicklet" design. It's quiet and doesn't quite have the feel that my Thinkpads do, but it's pretty nice. I haven't been making errors the way I was with our MacMini keyboard when I started using that. It'll take a little while to get used to the layout, but it's not bad.

The display is bright and clear, but one has to set the screen angle just right - typical of TN screens...

The first bootup was pretty quick - it found our wireless network easily and all I had to do was enter the WEP key. (Yeah, I know I shouldn't still be using WEP. I'll change it one of these days...) The longest part of the initial bootup was waiting for Winders to finalize everything.

This thing is going to fly with a SSD... :-)

So far, so good. Recommended - especially for $700.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Have fun
It does sound like a nice toy. We have a HP Pavilion space heater. Nice in the winter time, but now that summer is approaching, 4-10 minutes at a time is about all one can take ;-)
     Why would Ubuntu 10.04 LTS drop Wifi every few minutes? - (Another Scott) - (9)
         iwevent & wpa_supplicant - (scoenye) - (4)
             Thanks very much. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Consolidation - (scoenye) - (2)
                     Ah, "progress". :-/ - (Another Scott)
                     Linux system programmers like doing that. :-( - (static)
         I think I'm going to punt soon. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             P88 and P89 are both 850 @ Toshiba - (scoenye) - (2)
                 It's a neat little box. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Have fun - (scoenye)

China!
81 ms