IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Consolidation
The WiFi network stack went through at least one major rewrite that affected pretty much everything around that time. The older drivers were not compatible with the new stack and some chipsets ended up orphaned. The new style drivers to others were no were near maturity.
New Ah, "progress". :-/
The same things are happening on the Win2k side. Firefox managed to upgrade itself, but the updated plugins like Flash won't install because Win2k's Kernel32.dll is too old.

I've got a Fujitsu P7120D that's still a neat little laptop - that's my night-time reading PC. It's running Ubuntu 8.x LTS and is still running well. Trouble is, it has a 60 GB 1.8" hard drive that is nearly full and there are no replacements that I've been able to find.

Oh well.

I see that Lenovo has a refurbished i7 X220 with 8 GB, an IPS screen, and a SSD for around $1k. I've also looked around occasionally at the MacBook Airs but their limited RAM has always given me pause.

Maybe Tim Cook will have something compelling to announce next month...

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Linux system programmers like doing that. :-(
The X11 system had a few major upgrades in the last few years. Although a lot of it was driven by the likes of driver developers inside Intel (and generally needed to be done), they were still dropping features before they had replacements ready. I really liked how I could have :0.0 and :0.1 with the one dual-head card, but they did away with that trick.

After I filed a bug, I actually got to complain to one of the programmers. His response boiled down to "we took that feature away because we've rebuilt the whole subsystem that could do it; you can do something similar in a future version." I said that wasn't acceptable and I wanted that feature back. He didn't respond. AFAIK, it still hasn't returned.

I guess if I could be bothered, I could go see if the bug was still open...

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
     Why would Ubuntu 10.04 LTS drop Wifi every few minutes? - (Another Scott) - (9)
         iwevent & wpa_supplicant - (scoenye) - (4)
             Thanks very much. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Consolidation - (scoenye) - (2)
                     Ah, "progress". :-/ - (Another Scott)
                     Linux system programmers like doing that. :-( - (static)
         I think I'm going to punt soon. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             P88 and P89 are both 850 @ Toshiba - (scoenye) - (2)
                 It's a neat little box. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Have fun - (scoenye)

We're on a mission from GRR.
55 ms