IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No 'perhaps' about it - here's a third "source":
That's how the singular second-person personal pronoun looks in other Germanic[*] languages, too. Heck, even in French, come to think of it -- the Romance languages' roots are somewhat similar to the 'I - me, thou - thee' system, too (right, anyone who took Latin?).

[*]: The further back you go in history you go, the more Germanic and less of a mongrel English used to be.
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New I meant "perhaps he already told us".
Among the many things I collect are books about the history of the English language. So I know that English is technically a Germanic language, though the pedigree is rather grubby at the moment.

Several interesting bites (I'm summarising): OE lost a lot of its conjugations a little time after the Angles and Saxons settled in because there were two "versions" of English largely with different conjugations, so they wore away. Also: A *lot* of change of Middle English can be blamed on the Normans (French). Prior to that, English resembled German, Dutch and Danish. It was also because of the Normans that English lost a lot of descriptive phrases that we've never regained.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Nice collecto-mania... :-) "Descriptive phrases"?
New Personally.. I miss pre-Norman 'schweinehund' (sp?)
New Descriptive Phrases.
The poem Beowulf is rich in descriptive metaphor and simile. Modern day English always strikes me as tawdry by comparison.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New A, I C... "Kennings", as they're called in Old Norse.
     It is SPEECH dammit, not SPEACH -NT - (altmann) - (40)
         would you like frys with yer whine :) -NT - (boxley)
         You're fighting a "loosing" battle!!! -NT - (ChrisR) - (2)
             kneadnt start a pun war -NT - (boxley)
             Get it "rite". "Your" fighting a "loosing" battle! -NT - (jbrabeck)
         Holy fucking shit, man, you think *that* is bad??? - (CRConrad) - (25)
             semi litterate, half trained cat :) -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                 'Xackly my point! - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     Nit. - (static)
                     "litt\ufffdrature" IIRC (!) ____ Oops: should be under CRC's -NT - (Ashton)
             Re: Holy fucking shit, man, you think *that* is bad??? - (pwhysall) - (8)
                 Yeah, but the Rat-Man already covered that, above. - (CRConrad) - (7)
                     I fink pronunciation gets on my goat more - (Meerkat) - (6)
                         Its a sports thing, of course... - (jb4) - (1)
                             Knit be-eng piccoloed hear.... - (folkert)
                         Bushed! - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                             Eisenhower did it too, though. No indicator re - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 It's NUK-UH-LEHR -NT - (mmoffitt)
                             Umm? Didn't Carter have the same mispronounciation? - (Silverlock)
             Dessert instead of desert... - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                 Here's an obsure one. - (static) - (8)
                     About "you" versus "thee" - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                         Perhaps. - (static) - (6)
                             No 'perhaps' about it - here's a third "source": - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                 I meant "perhaps he already told us". - (static) - (4)
                                     Nice collecto-mania... :-) "Descriptive phrases"? -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                         Personally.. I miss pre-Norman 'schweinehund' (sp?) -NT - (Ashton)
                                         Descriptive Phrases. - (static) - (1)
                                             A, I C... "Kennings", as they're called in Old Norse. -NT - (CRConrad)
                 & vice versa, of course - who wants a sand cake for pudding? - (CRConrad)
                 Why do you think I said "It is..." ? :) -NT - (altmann)
         It's "Ridiculous", not "Rediculous", dammit! -NT - (wharris2) - (1)
             Ah, yes! "DefinAtely" one of those that eluded me yesterday. -NT - (CRConrad)
         A few more: - (CRConrad) - (6)
             You keep missing my favorite: - (jb4) - (5)
                 OK, how about this one, then: "That's do to..." -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     Sorry, Don't know that one... - (jb4) - (1)
                         Merkin, more than Real English. Must be pronounciation... - (CRConrad)
                 It's up there with 'ironical' - (Meerkat) - (1)
                     Yup - the ":" indicates it's aberrant here, too. 'Call-in' -NT - (Ashton)
         Someone's clearly been reading... - (kmself)

Now that's what I call self-defecating humor.
63 ms