IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How do I clean the inside of a computer?
My Mac tower is beeping on power-up, indicating no good RAM. I opened it up and it looks like one of the cats claimed it. Yes, the little fucker sprayed through the front.

So what do I use to clean it so it hopefully recognizes the RAM again?
--

Drew
New Here's what I did when that happened to my computer:
1. Make sure the computer is on. This will insure that all exposed surfaces, such as fan blades, etc, are covered. If your computer turns off when the case is off, then you may need to tape down the interruption switch.

2. Try to work the cables out as much as possible while retaining the connections.

3. Find a shower with a removable spray head, or perhaps a kitchen sink will work, although a back stop is key to reducing overspray.

4. Thoroughly spray down the entire inside, taking care to direct the spray under the edges of the case and inside all of the components. While hard drives are sealed, you should still try to get the exposed contacts to prevent dust from creating spark bridges. Shampoo works best; Johnson's may be ok depending on the level of dirt, but I suspect that it's too gentle for most computers that have sat for a while.

5. Don't forget the conditioner, as this will make the cables more compliant and easier to route back into their respective channels when reassembling.

6. At this point I decided to get a new computer regardless because the scent of the cat spray was difficult to get out, even after repeated applications of Sebastien Shine With Pro Nutrient Fruit Essence No. 5.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New You're funny ____ .o0oo oo0o.
--

Drew
New ...? I'm being serious.
It's a very effective method of obtaining a new computer.
Regards,
-scott
New Need a drink?
That is a very dry sense of humour, there. :-D

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Sterile Water...
First blow it out with compressed air...

Preferably Compressed Air from a real air compressor and tank and an air drier.

With a ground strap connected to the case and a ground strap to earth ground

Remove the RAM... Then take a video tape cleaner "foam swab", and the head cleaner, swab out the sockets and the RAM. Then use sterile water (its non-conductive). Try not to get the water in the power supply

Eventually you'll want to get some electronic non-lubricating spray cleaner and clean the crap out of it. It should neutralize the ph from the urine.

Once you do that... let it dry a while (or blow it out, if you got water all over and let it dry a day or so)... and once you stop being buzzed, put it back together...

Power it on.
Expand Edited by folkert April 23, 2012, 10:02:57 PM EDT
New Thanks
--

Drew
New Re: Sterile Water...
That will take much longer than my method, and at the end it won't smell like shampoo. Nor will he get a new computer out of it.

Regards,
-scott
New True dat...
Though we all don't make a quarter of a MEEEEEELLION DOLLARS a year like you do...

New Yeah, well...
You can include me in that "we all" as well.
Regards,
-scott
New I was kidding... I hope you knew that.
Why do you think I was imitating the bad guy on Austin Powers...
New Don't know why this triggered the thought ...
... but I wonder if homeowners insurance will cover this.
--

Drew
New There's a decent chance...
... but probably not after you give it a shower, to be honest.
Regards,
-scott
New Step the first...
Get rid of the cat.
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Thought crossed my mind
--

Drew
New Truth.
Homey don't play the "gee, I'm going to randomly spray musk-scented urine all over vertical surfaces" game.

The point at which you stop being cuddly and become a rank, disgusting animal strictly coincides with the point where aforementioned musk-scented urine starts painting the vertical surfaces.

That said, we went through a good deal of various machinations trying to stop the same behavior in our house in order to regain the cuddly-ness, and finally had to just confine the perp to the unfinished basement where, for whatever reason, the modern art finally stopped.
Regards,
-scott
New Wow...
You are *Peppy* tonight...
New It's his birthday.
He's apparently crying as he wants to. ;-)
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Interesting
I was thinking the same thing.
Just visualising him hunch over a keyboard, cackling with glee.
New In reference to this:
http://wondermark.com/829/
New Yeah, it was a night.
The fit hasn't come over me like that in a while.
Regards,
-scott
New most sensible post in this thread

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New If you can 'get rid' of a cat because of a computer..
Might indeed be best (for the cat) not to have one.
New it's "best" to never have a cat in the first place

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Remember, motherboards are washed during manufacturing.
The contact cleaner spray that Ashton has often mentioned might be a better first choice. https://www.google.c...act+cleaner+spray

You can wash printed circuit boards. The main thing is to make sure it's grounded, and make sure it's totally dry before powering up again.

http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=OkWePqTfD14

I dunno if Scrubbing Bubbles is the best choice - you probably want to minimize the time in the water and the time coated by the cleaner, to be safer.

You don't have too much to lose if it's not working now, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New OK.. the serious answer--
Tektronx regularly *washed* their lab-grade scopes / test equipment, using a mild detergent called 'Kelite'--always followed by hours in a ~150° F oven (IIRC.)
(with fan--but a regular home oven is also fine, with or without a fan blowing across the guts.)

A Scary idea to unimaginative EEs then too!
Others have used wood or even cardboard boxes cum fans and maybe heat lamps; a thermometer stuck in where appropriate. Guess a hand IR thingie is as good or better? ie Improvise.

http://classictek.or...cope_Cleaning.pdf

This is from 1976, but the points apply not only to their vac-tube units but later ss units, with caveats about covering the holes in power transformers where leads enter/exit.
Some later scopes used delicate relay-fingers for attenuator switching and these are cleaned with bond-papaer and rilly-pure ("CP" = chemically pure) Ethanol. No computer relevance, that.
Ditto for washing surface mount digital stuff of recent decades.

(Yeah, good idea to remove HD, cd drives and such and hand clean those--HDs have breathers to equalize air px, not intended to be immersed!)

If you digest this .pdf and allow for peculiarities of computer accessories, you should do no harm and should remove all scents
(cigarette smoke was a frequent complaint after years of service, etc. back when Real He-Men drank Marlboros)
You can bet that all mobos have been washed, following wave soldering--to remove flux(es) and make it all shiny. Nothing revolutionary here.

Bon Ami appetit!--chefs know how to wash stuff, right? :-0
Should be a fun game; outsmarting a feline==Winning!

Ed:PS--of course you Don't leave the power on, though unlike scopes it's mostly lo-DC all over, beyond power xfmr--now replaced with switching supplies, etc.
But you knew that. (I just can't commute to any wakes..)
.hr [still no horiz. rule in this chicken outfit]

Law above fear, justice above law, mercy above justice, love above all.
Expand Edited by Ashton April 24, 2012, 04:44:35 AM EDT
New I use a hairdryer
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Yabut does Kelite have Fruit Essence?
I think not!
Regards,
-scott
New And jojoba extract ... gotta have the jojoba extract
--

Drew
New why dont you pee on the server yourself, kill the cat smell
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Or pee on the cat
--

Drew
New Or wait...
I have this great idea for an experiment:

Put the cat in the server, rig it up so that if the cat sprays then it releases an electrical arc, killing the cat. Then you'll have two cats superimposed inside the box, one of which is good, the other bad. Take the good cat out, and then do whatever you want with the server and the remains of the bad cat.
Regards,
-scott
New Gives me an idea for a product
Schrödinger's litter: It is both dirty and clean, but as long as you don't look inside you can tell your wife that is clean. (Superposed with dirty.)
--

Drew
New stealing that
New Indeed.. probably the reason that Tek sold out to the Suits
--all those complaints about the sterile smell after washing..

If they'd only Known.
New Maybe better solution
http://www.gainsaver...rt=1&cICode=43686

Just get another and move the HD from my current one.
--

Drew
New MacofAllTrades has better ones...
http://www.macofallt..._Desktops_s/2.htm

We've got a dual 2.0 G5 at home that has been retired. It worked fine as long as you don't need an up-to-date web browser or software that requires an Intel CPU.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Looks like a winner
When I get a new one in, I plan to pull the drive from the current one and pop in in the second slot of the new one. Will I be able to move the apps I've installed from the old to the new?
--

Drew
New I don't think the Mac will care.
We've moved complete Mac hard drives to a directory on a new system and run things from there. Mac OS doesn't have a "registry" so it generally doesn't care where you install stuff. The only issues have been running software that requires OS 9 ("Classic") on later versions of OS X - one has to be careful that the version of OS X you have supports that if that's an issue.

E.g. http://hints.macworl...20060509180914879

No guarantees, of course. :-)

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New That's what I thought
Now the challenge is to unload the old system -- with no HD -- on Craigslist.
--

Drew
New What we've done...
E.g. in moving from the G5 to a 13" MacBook Pro:

Connect the old Mac to the new Mac with a Firewire cable. Boot the old Mac in Target Disk Mode (Squiggly-T). Boot the new Mac.

The old Mac will show up as a disk drive. Copy over everything you want. (The more recent versions of MacOS will even transfer settings, accounts, etc., this way, if you want.) Shut down the old Mac. You're done.

In your case, since you can't boot the old Mac, I would remove the hard drive, and either install it in the new Mac as a slave or use an external USB/Firewire/eSATA enclosure or adapter to power it up through an interface of your choice. Then copy over everything that you want. Make sure all your critical software works from the newer drive. At that point, you can remove all your personal stuff then put the drive back in the old system. (There might be subtle differences in the video drivers, etc., in the old and new systems that might cause issues if you boot the new system with the old disk.)

Someone who is into Macs who is interested in a G5 is likely to reinstall stuff anyway, so you could also just keep the old drive and throw in a new/different one if they need it, as an alternative.

Just some options. Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
     How do I clean the inside of a computer? - (drook) - (40)
         Here's what I did when that happened to my computer: - (malraux) - (3)
             You're funny ____ .o0oo oo0o. -NT - (drook) - (2)
                 ...? I'm being serious. - (malraux) - (1)
                     Need a drink? - (static)
         Sterile Water... - (folkert) - (7)
             Thanks -NT - (drook)
             Re: Sterile Water... - (malraux) - (5)
                 True dat... - (folkert) - (2)
                     Yeah, well... - (malraux) - (1)
                         I was kidding... I hope you knew that. - (folkert)
                 Don't know why this triggered the thought ... - (drook) - (1)
                     There's a decent chance... - (malraux)
         Step the first... - (mvitale) - (10)
             Thought crossed my mind -NT - (drook)
             Truth. - (malraux) - (5)
                 Wow... - (folkert) - (4)
                     It's his birthday. - (mvitale)
                     Interesting - (crazy) - (2)
                         In reference to this: - (folkert)
                         Yeah, it was a night. - (malraux)
             most sensible post in this thread -NT - (lincoln) - (2)
                 If you can 'get rid' of a cat because of a computer.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                     it's "best" to never have a cat in the first place -NT - (lincoln)
         Remember, motherboards are washed during manufacturing. - (Another Scott)
         OK.. the serious answer-- - (Ashton) - (9)
             I use a hairdryer -NT - (boxley)
             Yabut does Kelite have Fruit Essence? - (malraux) - (7)
                 And jojoba extract ... gotta have the jojoba extract -NT - (drook) - (5)
                     why dont you pee on the server yourself, kill the cat smell -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                         Or pee on the cat -NT - (drook) - (3)
                             Or wait... - (malraux) - (2)
                                 Gives me an idea for a product - (drook) - (1)
                                     stealing that -NT - (boxley)
                 Indeed.. probably the reason that Tek sold out to the Suits - (Ashton)
         Maybe better solution - (drook) - (5)
             MacofAllTrades has better ones... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 Looks like a winner - (drook) - (3)
                     I don't think the Mac will care. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         That's what I thought - (drook) - (1)
                             What we've done... - (Another Scott)

At least their extensions make something resembling sense.
213 ms