IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New scary legacy system
Today at work I fired up a "PowerMac 8100"—at the time of its purchase in 1994 the ne plus ultra of Mac yumminess (and heaven help me, I uncrated the beast back in the day!) that had not been nudged since Cheney was Shogun. The years have not been kind: the ADB mouse had rotted away (it was tricky shutting the thing down fingering the rollers—detach the mouse live and fry the ADB chip on the logic board, never a good idea). Fortunately there was another grime-encrusted unit in storage. The monitor fluttered violently, making it difficult to isolate the cursor onscreen. The commercial floppies from which I was attempting to recover data proved insufficiently readable.

There's a lot of stuff on that old workhorse that's now irretrievable owing to software developments, but there are also some files I'd assumed until today could be snagged for upstream conversion at my convenience. Looks now as though it's women and children first.

cordially,
New Digital black hole
We still have "printed" words from thousands of years ago. (I include pottery, clay, etc.) But large swaths of words from 20 years ago are completely irretrievable. And more going dark every year.
--

Drew
New That thing has a SCSI disk, right?
You should be able to recover files off it if it is still spinning.

I threw out all my SCSI interfaces in the last move, but I bet Greg has a stack in a box somewhere.
New Nope.
I threw out *ALL* of my old gear when I had to clean out the basement.

I doubt I've got a 50 pin SCSI capable adapter period.
New The machine has a SCSI Zip drive attached
...and that will be the lifeboat for such files as might potentially be useful. A less compromised unit in the office (a grey-and-white G4, circa 2001) can read the Zip disks and transfer the contents via USB 1.0 to a thumb drive. I know that my PageMaker 2.0 files from the late 1980s are irretrievable without costly and heroic measures (and there's no practical use for them today), but I think I've still got a machine somewhere with PM 4.2 that can still read archived PM 3 documents, assuming the floppies haven't rotted in storage. PM 4.2 can be read by PM 5, and thence by 6.5, and finally to InDesign. The undertaking may be more trouble than it's worth, but there are three or four book-length projects from back in the day that it would be useful to have to hand, even in text-only versions—assuming, of course, that those floppies haven't perished of neglect. Yeah, paper and stone are more reliable archival media.

Thank gawd that Illustrator reads legacy formats back to v. 1.0! I actually had a request last year to rebrand a document I created back during the Alzheimer Administration—I had fortunately long since saved all my Illustrator files from the eighties and nineties to a single CD-ROM, which appears to have preserved its contents impeccably over the long years of its confinement in a cool, dark file drawer.

cordially,
New Magnetic decay...
This hits sampler users harder than most other musicians as most samplers are very much a product of their computing times.

I have a SCSI Zip drive for my 20 year old Ensoniq ASR-10 and hope to source a spare Zip drive in case it dies. Meanwhile, computing hardware that can read the old Ensoniq floppies is becoming harder to find (USB floppies can't do it) and Ensoniq enthusiasts are also starting to report disks that are unreadable as the magnetic field fades too far.

Fortunately the Ensoniq hardware also supports CD-ROMs and they are a lot more long lasting.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New serial port available?
serial to serial appletalk might help
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
     scary legacy system - (rcareaga) - (6)
         Digital black hole - (drook)
         That thing has a SCSI disk, right? - (crazy) - (3)
             Nope. - (folkert)
             The machine has a SCSI Zip drive attached - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 Magnetic decay... - (static)
         serial port available? - (boxley)

Cosmological belly bomber.
112 ms