IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Patent madness, part 625
Oh [link|http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1='6,368,227'.WKU.&OS=PN/6,368,227&RS=PN/6,368,227|for the love of God], what insanity is this?

"A method of swinging on a swing".

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in Oh Pun, but it *appears* to be real.
Famous last RPG quotes: "I'll just shoot this fireball down the dungeon passageway..."
Expand Edited by wharris2 April 16, 2002, 11:34:00 AM EDT
New Well, let's HOPE he got it just to point out their naivete'.
New That's not naivete, that's just outright stupidity
The kid (or more likely his parents) and their lawyers put together a patent application, waste the patent office's time (as if they weren't overworked or rushed already), and then these boneheads in the patent office approve it? Goes to show how closely these guys really look at a patent.

Besides, this isn't even an invention. Oh, yeah, that's right, they're letting you patent processes nowdays. dumb, dumb, dumb.
Famous last RPG quotes: "I'll just shoot this fireball down the dungeon passageway..."
New What I meant - but, well-known for my sensibility as I am...
...I used a nicer word for it, of course. All in my delicate nature, don'cha know.

The glory of it is, he *really* points out their bone-jarring stupidity by getting a patent on something that there's so many millions of examples of "Prior Art" for: Who here *didn't* sometimes swing sideways as a kid?!?

And we didn't *all* learn it by imitation; some kids have a swing of their own, and few friends their own age. I'd bet this technique has been independently discovered at least tens, perhaps hundreds, of millions of times throughout the ages.

And that's so glaringly obvious, I really can't believe anything but that he applied for this patent as a joke on the patent office. (Anybody want to bet against the possibility that the guy turns out to be an FSF / OSS anti-business-process-patents activist...? :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
     Patent madness, part 625 - (wharris2) - (3)
         Well, let's HOPE he got it just to point out their naivete'. -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
             That's not naivete, that's just outright stupidity - (wharris2) - (1)
                 What I meant - but, well-known for my sensibility as I am... - (CRConrad)

Take a good plane and shave off all the edges.
68 ms