IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Cool
I have full passwords for all accounts.

So I setup the accounts on the gmail server via some type of web interface, right?
And I need to tell it I want it to synch up with the current imap server?
Then I change the MX records.
Then I press "GO".

And magic happens, it sucks up the local store to the cloud, and done?

Can I still keep the old email server in place and use it for outbound but not inbound? I should be able to leave it in with a low priority MX and it'll never see an inbound message. Maybe. I should block inbound just in case. Bounces will go to gmail.
New You'd best only use...
the local machine for outbound machine made mail.

I'd create the accounts and the aliases for those accounts first, swap the MX record and have it slurp up the folders and mail after they start using GMAIL and the authenticated SSMTP port 465 for client outbound mail. 25GB of mail in Google mail is hyarge... I mean... I;ve got 5 years of systems e-mail (a lot) and I'm only at 8GB...

Anything else, just use GMAIL, since it does the "put in sent mail" thing automagically.

In your SPF records make sure the local machine is listed as an allowed machine, along with Google's stuff.

You love it.

And yes, the web interface/dashboard is quite completely well done. Huge orgs are now using it and most have good things to say about it.
Expand Edited by folkert March 20, 2012, 11:06:18 PM EDT
Expand Edited by folkert March 20, 2012, 11:12:57 PM EDT
New What Greg said
I did that migration for my company a year or so ago. It was very very easy. One option for outbound alerts is to configure the alerting machine to use google's outbound servers; that may or may not be practical depending on the nature of the host and alerts in question.
New Thanks both
     Local imap users moving to gmail - (crazy) - (5)
         Google has a wizard that works very well. - (folkert) - (4)
             Cool - (crazy) - (3)
                 You'd best only use... - (folkert) - (2)
                     What Greg said - (jake123) - (1)
                         Thanks both -NT - (crazy)

I didn't think people ate those...
39 ms