IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Apple aren't upset about Android.
If Apple are worried about anything, it's Windows 8.

Android is on a lot of devices, sure, but Apple are interested in making vast gobs of money, and Android sure as shit ain't a good way to do that, even for Google.

I wouldn't touch an Android tablet with a bargepole. Not just for the app considerations outlined by Scott, but also because you've got no guarantee that you've got anything resembling a support path. Apple? Dirt simple. You buy a new phone or tablet and you (a) know that shit is going to work (b) know that you're getting the very latest OS and (c) know that you're getting the next couple of OS revisions.

That triumvirate certainty simply doesn't exist in the Android sphere.
New Then why is Apple trying to sue Android out of existence?
Not that they're having much success actually achieving that... However, Jobs was absolutely convinced that Android was an illegal copy of Apple's iOS. It is well documented that he wanted to wipe Android out.

Android support is being done by the makers of the hardware, with varying levels of success, as well as the retailers. If my tablet goes belly-up, I go back to the store I bought it, just like if my TV plays up. This arrangement seems to be annoying some people for some reason. But it is working and for Android devices it is getting better. It doesn't work the same way as Apple's rather closed ecosystem, though there are arguments that some parts should be more strictly controlled. I tend to agree with some of them. I think Google should be certifying hardware platforms and licensees and enforcing upgrade paths, for instance. It would also help app publishers make decent money (most simply can't), which I predict Google will be under some pressure to rectify in the coming months.

My allegiance against Apple basically comes down to the fact Apple has openly declared they want to rule your computing devices. I don't like Microsoft doing that, why should I like Apple doing it? But before that crystalised, I didn't like some of their technology choices, and that's why I never went iPod.

If WebOS had taken off, then I would have been interested in that. I liked my Symbian phone, but when it died the only obvious step up (that wasn't Apple) was Android.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Re: Then why is Apple trying to sue Android out of existence
They're not, specifically.

It's just that everyone's suing everyone else. C'est la vie in the world of technology software big business.

Apple don't want to "rule" your devices. What a ridiculous concept. They simply build their stuff to work in a particular way; if you don't like it, you buy something else, just as with any product.

In numeric terms, most people do that. Although the teeming masses end up spending a whole lot less money than the minority who buy Apple products.

Google has no interest in making hardware vendors do anything much; especially if it would make an HTC or Samsung phone more attractive than a Motoroogle handset.

I'm far too old and bored with technology to have ideological "allegiances" to any particular vendor, mainly because they're all a pack of cunts including (some might say especially, due to their protestations to the contrary) Google. I just buy and use what works. iPad works. OS X works. WP7 works.*

I typed this out in Chrome on Windows 8 on an iMac, by the way.

* I could never get Android to the state of "works" because there'd always be something utterly retarded that would shit all over my day, be it the differentiation between device and SDcard memory, or the cavalcade of permissions wankery when apps got updated, or the spacktardular "menu" button (for that authentic BlackBerry feel, I guess). Not to mention the conniptions required to sync my phone with my iTunes library (which WP7 does perfectly elegantly; I ended up buying Isyncr and its wifi plugin to make it work even remotely reliably, which is to say not at all, but at least I got tunes on the device, even if the various music players are all uniformly tediously shite).
New We agree on one thing, then.
For the most part, my Android devices Just Work for me, too. That was a huge attraction for the tablet I chose and to a lesser extent the two Android phones I've had.

Incidentally, I use Ubuntu Linux for much the same reason: it Just Works well enough. Microsoft has long annoyed me about how they want you to use their software; Apple has the same reputation and this really is the major reason I haven't gone iThing (plus I hate iTunes' UX). Unlike you, it appears, I still have some technological preferences. But the world would be boring if we were all the same.

Wade.
New I started trying to prove you wrong
But I couldn't.

sue Android out of existence

is a quote that others use, but not Jobs directly.

Of course, when you consider that the final goal of suing someone or something out of existence is to destroy them/it, and then you simply look at the following google query, the picture painted is pretty dramatic.

http://www.google.co...roy+android+quote

So yes, Peter, you sure are right. That is certainly never a stated goal.

Boy, you sure are smart, since now you can give your money to them without even bothering to rationalise it.
New Re: I started trying to prove you wrong
What do I need to rationalise, again?

Apple make shiny thing.

I want shiny thing.

I buy shiny thing.

Me happy!

I couldn't give a tuppenny fuck about the legal shenanigans of what multibilliondollar corporations are trying to do to each other.
New Deep.
New Re: Deep.
NO just an fanboi
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New No, he's not
He likes his shiny things.
They make nice shiny things.
They do.
Really.

A by product of people buying their shiny things is the possibility of bad things happenings to android. So? It is. That's business.

I'm not saying it should be otherwise.

I'm merely pointing out what is.
New Re: No, he's not
You obviously do think I need to rationalise something over and above the fact that Apple make a product that meets my needs.

You wouldn't have brought it up and snarked about how "smart" I am, otherwise.
New Close
Really, I simply went to try to prove the "out of existence" statement, and found I couldn't. But at that point I was on the path of snark, and had to come up with something.

And there is much about Apple that annoys me, so my default position is "against". But on additional read, I clarified my worldview / business perspective to include the reasonability of your view.

This is not a religious argument, it's a long term vs short term business one, and many worldviews can be accurate at the same time.
Expand Edited by crazy March 20, 2012, 07:44:51 AM EDT
New Also, too.
Apple has to protect its trademarks and patents when it thinks they're being violated. Otherwise, they're worthless.

Yes, there is "I'm protecting my patents" and there is "I AM OZYMANDIAS! LOOK UPON MY MIGHTY PATENTS AND DO MY BIDDING OR YOU WILL BE DESTROYED!" It's often hard to tell which is which from reports in the press. :-/

E.g. Samsung isn't a tiny upstart.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I know. Just yanking his chain. He didn't bite. Dang it. :0)
New You're going to have to do *way* better than that...
New Yeah
You gotta be as good as me
New thats not his chain yer yanking :-)
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New You are ... the weakest link!
--

Drew
New lol... It's been a while since I've seen that line! :-D
New I should apologise.
I realized later I may have come across as a bit of an Android fanboi. Or perhaps an Apple hater... :-/ That was not my intention.

Apple has been a pioneer in many ways in the computer industry to the general benefit of all. It's only natural for others to follow in their footsteps. But some people don't like some of their business and technology choices. I am one of them.

Wade.
New You are not the only one...
I don't like it.

But, unfortunately, I have a wife and daughter, admittedly my Mini 9 yet.

Though, I personally really don't USE any Apple devices, my family chooses to.
     iPad 3 - (pwhysall) - (59)
         Welcome aboard! - (Another Scott) - (6)
             It doesn't chuck things away like that (any more?) - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 Excellent news. Thanks. (I'll try again on the IP-1 soon.) -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Lets see... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Re: Lets see... - (Another Scott)
                 Re: It doesn't chuck things away like that (any more?) - (mvitale) - (1)
                     A good read. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         AHH your coming back to the lightside -NT - (Bman)
         Tablet-tastic. - (static) - (22)
             And they're a lot more different as well. - (malraux) - (1)
                 This is true. -NT - (static)
             Apple aren't upset about Android. - (pwhysall) - (19)
                 Then why is Apple trying to sue Android out of existence? - (static) - (16)
                     Re: Then why is Apple trying to sue Android out of existence - (pwhysall) - (15)
                         We agree on one thing, then. - (static)
                         I started trying to prove you wrong - (crazy) - (13)
                             Re: I started trying to prove you wrong - (pwhysall) - (12)
                                 Deep. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                     Re: Deep. - (Bman) - (10)
                                         No, he's not - (crazy) - (3)
                                             Re: No, he's not - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 Close - (crazy) - (1)
                                                     Also, too. - (Another Scott)
                                         I know. Just yanking his chain. He didn't bite. Dang it. :0) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                             You're going to have to do *way* better than that... -NT - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                 Yeah - (crazy) - (3)
                                                     thats not his chain yer yanking :-) -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                         You are ... the weakest link! -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                                             lol... It's been a while since I've seen that line! :-D -NT - (static)
                 I should apologise. - (static) - (1)
                     You are not the only one... - (folkert)
         Oh no you didn't - (malraux) - (10)
             NuNu ... or Nanoo Nanoo -NT - (drook)
             It's just "iPad" - (SpiceWare) - (7)
                 True... - (malraux) - (6)
                     or use the one you got as a parts box and buy another - (boxley) - (1)
                         I may end up doing that - (malraux)
                     supported on iPad 2012 or better - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                         But now that's a name again - (malraux) - (1)
                             People are already used to that - (SpiceWare)
                     That exemplifies Sony. - (static)
             Re: Oh no you didn't - (pwhysall)
         Re: iPad 3 - (jake123)
         It's here - (pwhysall) - (15)
             Meh... its just a tablet. - (folkert) - (12)
                 Woo for you, I suppose. - (pwhysall) - (11)
                     Yeah... - (folkert) - (10)
                         Groovy, I guess. - (pwhysall) - (9)
                             Because you went... - (folkert) - (8)
                                 How very strange. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                     Just ignore me. - (folkert) - (6)
                                         I don't like pineapple - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                             Good enough... - (folkert) - (4)
                                                 Re: Good enough... - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                     Exactly. -NT - (folkert) - (2)
                                                         Exactly what? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                             Apple's shiny! Apple suxors! No it doesn't! Film at 11 -NT - (crazy)
             Autocorrect issues. - (static) - (1)
                 Re: Autocorrect issues. - (folkert)

YOU DON'T EVEN RECOGNIZE THE *real* KNOPPIX INTERPRETER
111 ms