IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oh no you didn't
It's "the new iPad", not an iPad 3. Silly consumer.

I don't know what Apple is thinking... people have to have something unique to call it, no matter what Apple thinks. Most likely iPad 3 is going to be the name that sticks, to differentiate it from the 1 and 2 models. Otherwise no one is going to know what's being sold on eBay. And what do you call the next one? The new new iPad?

Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New NuNu ... or Nanoo Nanoo
--

Drew
New It's just "iPad"
same as it's just "iMac", "Mac Book Pro", etc. I expect latter this year the phone will become just "iPhone" as well.

People will differentiate like they do now. My MacBook Pro is known as "15 inch, Late 2008". (normally it's just the year, but in 2008 they updated the MBP twice).

http://www.google.co...ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
New True...
But I think a computer is somewhat different than a device.

As a developer, which would you rather say, and as a user which would you rather figure out:

1) Supported on iPad 2 or newer.

2) Supported on iPad 2012, 2048x1024 retina display, dual-core A5X processor or better.

I'm in the middle of dealing with a broken BluRay drive in our PS3, and trying to figure out which one to buy is a pain in the rear because there are something like 7 "PS3" models and 3 "PS3 Slim" models (two separate 120G models alone). Step one, find the model number in tiny type on the bottom in gray on black type. Step two, find somewhere online to translate that into an actual part number and requirements.
Regards,
-scott
New or use the one you got as a parts box and buy another
used one just like it
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New I may end up doing that
They're actually pretty easy to disassemble, although the connector cable for the bluray is fiddly and brittle.
Regards,
-scott
New supported on iPad 2012 or better
Apple has simplified product lines, the iPad especially so. The only difference between iPad models for a given year* are capacity and data network.

In contrast, the computers are available with customization choices that affect performance (GPU, CPU, HDD or SDD storage) and thus listing more detailed "supported on" requirements with CPU and GPU specs is still relevant for the Mac.

* Yes they're still selling last year's model at a discount, but it'd still be known as the prior year.
New But now that's a name again
Microsoft used to do that with operating systems... ;-)

I don't think years are as useful in this fashion: I have a difficult time remembering when I bought my devices.
Regards,
-scott
New People are already used to that
ask them about their car and you'll hear something like "2005 Honda S2000" :-)

If Apple was updating the iPad multiple times per year then yeah, the year wouldn't be very useful.

As far as Microsoft, maybe they realized that using year for something that's not updated every year has a downfall - by 98 something called 95 sounds quite dated, especially in the computer industry. Of course they're still using that to some extent: Office 2010, Visual Studio 2010.
New That exemplifies Sony.
Sony have always struggled to limit the model range. Someone very high up firmly believes that "more models is good". It's not. Really, it's not. Apple have proven that the most clearly, but other manufacturers have too down through the years.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Re: Oh no you didn't
It says "iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G 16GB - White (3rd generation)" on my order.
     iPad 3 - (pwhysall) - (59)
         Welcome aboard! - (Another Scott) - (6)
             It doesn't chuck things away like that (any more?) - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 Excellent news. Thanks. (I'll try again on the IP-1 soon.) -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Lets see... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Re: Lets see... - (Another Scott)
                 Re: It doesn't chuck things away like that (any more?) - (mvitale) - (1)
                     A good read. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         AHH your coming back to the lightside -NT - (Bman)
         Tablet-tastic. - (static) - (22)
             And they're a lot more different as well. - (malraux) - (1)
                 This is true. -NT - (static)
             Apple aren't upset about Android. - (pwhysall) - (19)
                 Then why is Apple trying to sue Android out of existence? - (static) - (16)
                     Re: Then why is Apple trying to sue Android out of existence - (pwhysall) - (15)
                         We agree on one thing, then. - (static)
                         I started trying to prove you wrong - (crazy) - (13)
                             Re: I started trying to prove you wrong - (pwhysall) - (12)
                                 Deep. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                     Re: Deep. - (Bman) - (10)
                                         No, he's not - (crazy) - (3)
                                             Re: No, he's not - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 Close - (crazy) - (1)
                                                     Also, too. - (Another Scott)
                                         I know. Just yanking his chain. He didn't bite. Dang it. :0) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                             You're going to have to do *way* better than that... -NT - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                 Yeah - (crazy) - (3)
                                                     thats not his chain yer yanking :-) -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                         You are ... the weakest link! -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                                             lol... It's been a while since I've seen that line! :-D -NT - (static)
                 I should apologise. - (static) - (1)
                     You are not the only one... - (folkert)
         Oh no you didn't - (malraux) - (10)
             NuNu ... or Nanoo Nanoo -NT - (drook)
             It's just "iPad" - (SpiceWare) - (7)
                 True... - (malraux) - (6)
                     or use the one you got as a parts box and buy another - (boxley) - (1)
                         I may end up doing that - (malraux)
                     supported on iPad 2012 or better - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                         But now that's a name again - (malraux) - (1)
                             People are already used to that - (SpiceWare)
                     That exemplifies Sony. - (static)
             Re: Oh no you didn't - (pwhysall)
         Re: iPad 3 - (jake123)
         It's here - (pwhysall) - (15)
             Meh... its just a tablet. - (folkert) - (12)
                 Woo for you, I suppose. - (pwhysall) - (11)
                     Yeah... - (folkert) - (10)
                         Groovy, I guess. - (pwhysall) - (9)
                             Because you went... - (folkert) - (8)
                                 How very strange. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                     Just ignore me. - (folkert) - (6)
                                         I don't like pineapple - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                             Good enough... - (folkert) - (4)
                                                 Re: Good enough... - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                     Exactly. -NT - (folkert) - (2)
                                                         Exactly what? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                             Apple's shiny! Apple suxors! No it doesn't! Film at 11 -NT - (crazy)
             Autocorrect issues. - (static) - (1)
                 Re: Autocorrect issues. - (folkert)

Dude!
351 ms