IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Into the database"?
It's stored as XML in a database? [raised eyebrow] Well, I have seen wierder things...

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Umm ... yeah
We have tons of XML in the database. And I think some people might be starting to see why that's maybe not such a good idea.
--

Drew
New ? Its been a few years since I went to xml dtd school
but storing strings in a database is kind of missing the point of dtd's and formatting
just my 2 cents
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New It's not a string
XML is a real datatype. You can do XPATH queries against it. (Which breaks your brain, by the way. And don't get me started on namespaces.) I've even seen databases that are entirely XML based.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook March 8, 2012, 10:33:16 AM EST
New not my point
storing xml in a database is storing strings from a database point of view as opposed to using xml as designed
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Well ...
The way we use it, it's a way of stuffing multiple data structures into one field instead of having multiple child tables.

We have multiple products. Each product generates a "result", which is a collection of data. The data structure depends on the product. Rather than have a table for each product, we simply store every result as an XML value in the Result column of the Order table.

Besides saving us the incredible overhead of an extra join to the appropriate result table, this also allows us to change the data structure for a product without having to change the table. Simply write a new XML format into the Result column and you're done.

Don't point out that when you do that our XSLs to render reports has to be updated to recognize the two data structures and render each appropriately. Please also don't point out that since you can't create indices on nodes within the XML field you can't generate summaries of product outcomes. (eg: What percentage of product X yielded results in county Y?)
--

Drew
New I guess that's better than binary blobs.
And I am *so* glad the previous developers at work never thought of that.

I'm still cleaning up from someone's fixation with TEXT fields. And then there's still a few FLOATs lurking around carrying currency. And Unix timestamps instead of DATETIME. Or in one case, instead of just DATE.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
     XML question on "disapble-output-escaping" - (drook) - (18)
         Re: XML question on "disapble-output-escaping" - (mvitale) - (15)
             Uhh ... not getting what you're saying -NT - (drook) - (2)
                 He's having the inverse problem ;-) - (scoenye)
                 Check again. Sorry. -NT - (mvitale)
             That's (kind of) what I'm thinking - (drook) - (11)
                 Not nearly that simple. - (static) - (10)
                     Yeah, not at all ... well, maybe it is - (drook) - (9)
                         Ah... - (static) - (8)
                             It's legal? Well crap, this argument just got a lot harder - (drook) - (7)
                                 "Into the database"? - (static) - (6)
                                     Umm ... yeah - (drook) - (5)
                                         ? Its been a few years since I went to xml dtd school - (boxley) - (4)
                                             It's not a string - (drook) - (3)
                                                 not my point - (boxley) - (2)
                                                     Well ... - (drook) - (1)
                                                         I guess that's better than binary blobs. - (static)
         Based on the first line and the rest of the thread - (scoenye) - (1)
             That's a good point - (drook)

?REDO FROM START
94 ms