IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This as well
I just have less Mac experience than Linux, and the Linux box was cheaper.

But if YOU prefer Mac over Linux, I'd change my recommendation to get a Mac for her.
New Re: This as well
Here's the thing: I hate computer support, and when we had the Linux laptop I was constantly answering questions. Not so with the Macs, other than the occasional "why is this website slow" (their site is down) or "why isn't the printer working" (the printer needs rebooting).

For development I would be 100% Mac if it weren't for the less-than-optimal 3rd-party packaging systems (fink, etc). It seems like every time I get settled on one it goes out of favor, and the new one is incompatible. That said, I'm all Mac at home because I can't be arsed to keep up a Linux server here.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re: This as well
Exactly. It's not a coincidence that I got Jo a Mac laptop at about the same time as I exited the IT support trade.

No fucking way was I going to leave that shit behind at work, only to have it waiting for me at home.
New My journey.
I went Linux years ago personally because I got too pissed off at Windows. My only Windows box was Windows 2000 for years and years - so long that friends and relatives stopped asking for help because I just didn't know the OS they were using. Meanwhile, my Linux server runs without maintenence. Still does, in fact, baring hardware dying.

My (ex)wife was the difficult one. She liked her lappy (which came with XP), but would not try Linux. Against my recommendations, she got another relative to put Vista on it; unsurprisingly it was badly supported. But she wouldn't downgrade. She also would not understand why my support of it was limited to getting it working with my/our network. It really totally mystified her why I thought Windows was not the Thing To Have. And why she couldn't sway me.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New A core issue
It really totally mystified her why

When a non-tech person makes a tech recommendation that is not taken, they are mystified.
When a tech person makes a tech recommendation that is not taken, they are annoyed?

Why?

Because the non-tech is making vaporous non-arguments, and simply CANNOT understand the issues, so they are in a constant state of wonder and fan-boism. It's all confusing and mystical.

When a tech is making a recommendation, it is usually to avoid most the downsides of the of the various choices, taking the least evil one, and knows if his advice is ignored his own pain will increase, and the other person might not even feel it.

So they can't understand the situation and are almost guaranteed to make the wrong choice, and then attempt to inflict their wrong choice on us.

Sigh.

No. Teach the kids to do tech support when they are 8. Do not let it get to that point.
New There was a slightly deeper issue.
Significantly, she only came to know me *after* I had switched to Linux. She had simply not really seen me at my wits end with asinine Microsoft software that cannot and will not tell you what is actually wrong so you know what to fix. If you can fix it. She knew her brother-in-law could and would support MS, but failed to grasp that this was a sacrifice of my well-being I was not prepared to make.

In other words, she just didn't know me as well as she thought she did.

Wade.
New Well there is the rub...
she just didn't know me as well as she thought she did.
That explains the "Ex" part of her relationship with you now.
New Precisely.
     Wife's computer not behaving - (lincoln) - (30)
         Sounds like a cache issue to me. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Wasn't the cache - (lincoln)
         RRR - (crazy) - (24)
             Then nuke it from orbit. Only way to be sure. -NT - (drook)
             Can't - (lincoln) - (22)
                 Maybe install IE8? - (Another Scott) - (21)
                     Installing IE8 has saved a few jobs here. - (Andrew Grygus)
                     I've put both Firefox and Chrome on there - (lincoln) - (19)
                         "Upgrade" her - (drook)
                         Do you have choice concerning support? - (crazy) - (17)
                             No choice - (lincoln) - (16)
                                 Do you have Linux skills to support her? - (crazy) - (15)
                                     Not yet - (lincoln) - (14)
                                         Engineering triangle as usual - (crazy) - (13)
                                             +5 Insightful. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                                                 Once you go Mac... - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                                     outside of initial costs - (lincoln) - (1)
                                                         Don't rule out pre-owned. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                     This. - (malraux) - (8)
                                                         This as well - (crazy) - (7)
                                                             Re: This as well - (malraux) - (6)
                                                                 Re: This as well - (pwhysall)
                                                                 My journey. - (static) - (4)
                                                                     A core issue - (crazy) - (3)
                                                                         There was a slightly deeper issue. - (static) - (2)
                                                                             Well there is the rub... - (folkert) - (1)
                                                                                 Precisely. -NT - (static)
         Re: Wife's computer not behaving - (altmann) - (1)
             YOU ARE THE MAN! - (lincoln)
         And the problem's back - (lincoln)

Hey, it was good enough for Terry Pratchett.
108 ms