IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: I didn't read it that way.
I read it as...Reps published a report...the DoD also published a report and the numbers are within 1 pt of each other...but the democrats say "oh no, its MUCH lower".

Evidence please, cause the Reps have theirs, their report is backed by DoD.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New NY Times OpEd from 2009
http://www.nytimes.c...ion/29bergen.html

[...]

But are things this bad? While we must of course be careful about who is released, these numbers are very likely inflated. This is in part because the Pentagon includes on the list any released prisoner who is either “confirmed” or just “suspected” to have engaged in terrorism anywhere in the world, whether those actions were directed at the United States or not. And, bizarrely, the Defense Department has in the past even lumped into the recidivist category former prisoners who have done no more than criticize the United States after their release.

[...]

In the end, the Pentagon has given out the names of only 12 former detainees who can be independently confirmed to have taken part in terrorist acts directed at American targets, and eight others suspected of such acts. This is about 4 percent of the 534 men who have been released. Obviously, the percentage would be higher if we were able to factor in the former detainees whose names were withheld. Yet it seems fair to say that the much-hyped 14 percent figure is likely a large overstatement of former Guantánamo inmates who have taken up arms.

Now, some Americans may argue that even a 1 percent recidivism rate from Guantánamo would be too high, while others will point out that this rate compares quite favorably to that of the United States writ large, as some two-thirds of people released from prison here are rearrested within three years.

We make neither of these arguments. Rather, our point is that the Pentagon should be as accurate as possible about how many of those released pose a threat to America. This is the only way that policy makers can make informed choices about closing Guantánamo, revising military commissions, deporting or repatriating prisoners or moving them to the United States, and keeping our nation safe.

IOW, one needs to be skeptical. Perhaps these unnamed Democrats were referring to things like this.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: NY Times OpEd from 2009
So we should believe the democrats in government when they tell us that the republicans are lying when they reference numbers released by an exec branch office currently under dem control.

Gotcha
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New ___...ooo000ooo...___
New We should always be skeptical of Fed Govt statements.
New "We know where Iraq has WMDs"
'nuff said.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New In Syria, why do you ask?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New So, dem statement is just as likely false.
Thanks for the clarity ;-)
New Dubya was a Democrat? Since when? ;-)

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Re: Dubya was a Democrat? Since when? ;-)
Never. Could be your confusion stems from me not addressing you in that post?
New Ah, missed the indention level.

-- E.L. Doctorow
New ;0)
     GOP: Scores of freed Gitmo detainees likely become militants - (lincoln) - (14)
         Democrats seem math challenged here - (beepster) - (13)
             I didn't read it that way. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                 Re: I didn't read it that way. - (beepster) - (11)
                     NY Times OpEd from 2009 - (Another Scott) - (10)
                         Re: NY Times OpEd from 2009 - (beepster) - (9)
                             ___...ooo000ooo...___ -NT - (Another Scott)
                             We should always be skeptical of Fed Govt statements. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                 "We know where Iraq has WMDs" - (lincoln) - (1)
                                     In Syria, why do you ask? -NT - (boxley)
                                 So, dem statement is just as likely false. - (beepster) - (4)
                                     Dubya was a Democrat? Since when? ;-) -NT - (lincoln) - (2)
                                         Re: Dubya was a Democrat? Since when? ;-) - (beepster) - (1)
                                             Ah, missed the indention level. -NT - (lincoln)
                                     ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)

WoCFoC
69 ms