IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New ^Thanks all.
Unified logging is a great idea and we should do that. With enough shovels, I'd *love* to make the possible.

Just a few notes. The QA/Test boxes are identical. The only difference between the QA/Test boxen and the production box is location. QA/Test boxes are on the LAN, production outside the f/w. So, from my POV, debugging *should* be possible on one of the QA/Test boxes. The dev boxes start out in sych with everything else, but the developers pretty much own those boxes. Until the devs break it. Then we clean them return them to being in synch with production.

Box-> Yep, same guy gives official word that app is ready to push to prod, and my group does it.

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass with my qualifier "In Javaland." I wrote it that way because it's been a decade or so since I developed anything other database stuff. I'm really out of touch with any sort of development that doesn't involve sql, but when I was a developer all those years ago, the sysadmins I worked with would have laughed me out of their offices (or just shot me) if I asked for a shell account on a production box. ;0)

Thanks again everybody!
New Re: ^Thanks all.
The boxes might be identical, but without the same data (database, web requests, STP traffic, load levels, and so on) it can be very difficult to find and fix a problem outside of production. Load in particular can be difficult to replicate.

Example: I've seen "identical" environments produce different results when the web request traffic was off by a few milliseconds, where different is defined as "works fine in staging, completely melts down in production". It was discovered that the replay tool was batching its requests in 5ms intervals. Once the interval was improved to 1ms the staging environment began to exhibit the same behavior that was observed in production.

That said there are not many environments that actually involve such tight tolerances.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Thanks again.
I'm embarrassed to say this, but the "production" box we're talking about in my case is a single function box with, at present, 1 user utilizing this one batch of jsp pages, 1 or 2 days a week. IOW, it is a *very* lightly loaded box. :0)

We might run into load problems, but they'll be a while off. The plan is to add one user every 1 to 2 weeks up to a grand total of around 90 at the end of the year. And they won't be concurrent users. ;0)
New Yeah, not really necessary for PRD at that point
As long as the data can be replicated.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     Tomcat Questions. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
         logging outside the path - (boxley)
         Re: Tomcat Questions. - (mvitale)
         Answer: it depends - (malraux)
         ^Thanks all. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             Re: ^Thanks all. - (malraux) - (2)
                 Thanks again. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     Yeah, not really necessary for PRD at that point - (malraux)
         AdminiScott has the best answer. - (static) - (2)
             Yabut... - (malraux) - (1)
                 This is true. - (static)

We still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.
145 ms