IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: 2nd Failure - Visor Prism irda PDA to zIWETHEY- ZOPE err

Was able to access internet thru irda link to my GPRS phone - was able to brows zIWETHEY using 'BLITZER' browser that came with Handspring phone plug in. BUT!!! when I tried to post a message it failed just like the iPAQ PDA.

This possibly means that zIWETHEY won't accept input from PDA browsers, or there is some other problem.
The message from ZOPE was that there was a ZOPE error & said something about a message being to large (certainly not from my lil ole PDA !!!).

I quickly switched back to the iPAQ & tried same again but ZOPE message was

Error Type
Name Error
Error Value: forumid

Hopefully someone might recognise the symptoms & advise if this is a simple case of ZOPE being unable to handle PDAs or if there is a deeper problem.

Sure hope zope can cope, failure starts it on a slippery slope, ah well, can't mope, sure don't want to grope much more for an answer.

Cheers

Doug Marker
New It does work....
I've not tried phone or iPAQ, but it does work fine from
the Zaurus and the YOPY -- both using Opera. My $.02
Browser issue?
New Re: It does work....
ADDED COMMENT re real computing see #

How did you get your YOPY connected ???

I have the original OS & can't get irda to connect, & can't read SD cards.

Irda attempts to connect (other device if receiving indicates YOPY calling but no data gets txferred & YOPY hangs.

Have you upgraded YOPY Kernel or apps ?

# Howd you compile your YOPY Opera ? - was it a download from anywhere ?

# Of course Linux & Opera are bound to work like normal - they are after all #real computing platforms - as much as I like PALM & tolerate WinCE 2002 - they #aren't real computing (grin)

Cheers

Doug
Expand Edited by dmarker2 April 14, 2002, 03:31:33 AM EDT
New do upgrade...
I did have problems connecting with the initial release.
Do upgrade. They also sent me an updated cradle and
that together with the latest release has things working
fine. First release and initial cradle causes hang conditions
and problems with SD cards.

Re: Opera - copy from Zaurus to Yopy and you'll be in bizness.
You might also try downloading Linux version from opera.com

New Re: do upgrade...

latest appears to be zImage-2.4.2-yp2

If you check your system info, what version shows up ?

Tks

Doug
New Re: do upgrade...
I don't have my YOPY here just now, but I believe I'm
running 2.4.6. It is early release (still, I think).
New Re: DONE - was 2.4.2-yp1 & 1.3.2 filesys

I also tried upgrading with 2.4.2-yp2 but it seems there is an MMC error in that version.

Had some fun though - due to a misunderstanding about what file to upload to the YOPY I screwed it & it seemed it had gone dead.

Some perseverence & waiting allowed me to get the USB conn active & I reloaded the original CD supplied kernel & filesys & at the same time realised what I had done wrong 1st time round (had name the same kernel image for both kerbel & filesys).

Anyway after 3 more variations to the upload I settled on 2.4.2-yp1 & linuppy 1.3.2 which works & also now recognises my 64mb SD card (but not the 128MB one).

Next week I will order the Zaurus & hope Ashton has the time to take a peek & a fiddle before forwarding on to me.

Cheers

Doug
New But, but, but....
.....if you give Ashton a chance to peek and fiddle, that unit
may take a long time to get to you ;-)

Glad you got things working! Wonder why it doesn't recognize
the 128MB card? Weird...
New Re: Tonite I did 12 reloads

Didn't plan to but in trying diff kernels & filesys got some weird results.

YOPY hung on me at least 9 times but with patience i got it to connect via usb & reload kernel.

but it does read sd cards (grin)

Cheers Doug
New $64k question for you - r u ready ? - here goes ...

What is the root password that allows you to login as su in a YOPY term window ?

(I want to transfer an updated mmc.o file to /usr/local but because there is a file there with same name & owned by root - won't let me copy over it - but YOPY manual doesn't seem to have any info on becoming root user - or for that matter how to download from PC to the YOPY, I am using mmc card to do it - all my other PDAs (Palm OS & Win2002) allow me to darg & drop onto the PDA from PC.

YOPY doesn't seem to have this ability :-(

Cheers

Doug Marker
New well....er.....um.....
.....don't recall it off the top of my head and have few
brain cells left given the new gig. I'll dig for it, but it
might take me a few days. If you like, drop me a line
maggie at biggs dot com and I'll send you my contact
info for the guy at gmate. He can help, I'm sure.

There is a yopy desktop that you can use to transfer
files. It's kinda buggy, but it will let you transfer files.
Assume you have tried chmod -- yes?
New Re: well....er.....um.....

chmod - I didn't even have a go as I figured I'd get the same reaction (not logeed in as root).

Will try it in a min.

I have made several posts in the YOPY developer forums but noone seems to respond & as always I end up working the stuff out the hard way.

Cheers - Doug
New Now.. now ...
I no longer do extensive immersion testing in brine at 90\ufffdC ..
('least not on these cheap transistor thingies that can't take even a 50' drop.)

Ashton Overwriters Lab, Inc.
New Re: Beast on its way c/o Amazon free mail

They say 5-9 business days & it should get to your P.O. box without incident.

Last time I was in Sonoma/Napa was in 1979 as a new employee of ITEL (used to be an IBM mainframe cloner until IBM put them out of the computer business with their infamous vapour 4331 announcement).

Was on a training course in S Valley & self & a friend did a trip by car of some several hundred miles - drove inland - drove upland - drove to coast - drove back down to SFO via Napa.

We bough a few wines on the way thru.

Cheers Doug
(have been to SFO many times since but not back to Napa - went to Tahoe instead)
New Wine-obsessed - the place still is.
Guess that's as decent an obsession as any, but I say - once having sampled a Ch. Lafitte or Margaux '61 (or any year d'Yqem).. ho hum. But it is 'country' still, in lots of places. This despite the inevitable hucksters trying to Disneyand things, everywhere. Ex:

Currently we're fighting an Int'l Corp - attempting to build a 90ish room hotel across from a local winery = tour buses, an "event" at least every week. These assholes don't even live here, nor give a fig about what kind of 'here' they'd like to convert to a 'there' (like every other &*%&*$ 'entrepreneur' whose brain language is in $/sec). Issues about local water table, etc. So far the plan's been sent back for an environmental impact report. We shall remain vigilant.

What's really nice is... the quiet. So far, and despite - a very-occasional car whose driver thinks it's a 500 W. drum-machine boom-box, meant to spread around his large love for incessant thumps. Really Murican, that..

Still - there are two airports capable of landing a Carter Copter :-\ufffd
(But more action at Tahoe, agreed) Karsten can give you an alternative view of the area du jour.

Ashton
New Browser isn't passing hidden form fields back.
From the looks of it.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Re: Browser isn't passing hidden form fields back.

I suspect that the Blitzer & MSIE browsers are minimal function. There is little to configure with both of them whereas I am willing to bet that Opera is near full function (on YOPY & Zaurus).

Will try to find more info

Cheers

Doug
     Failed pda experiment: pda b/tuth to cellph b/tuth on gprs - - (dmarker2) - (17)
         Re: 2nd Failure - Visor Prism irda PDA to zIWETHEY- ZOPE err - (dmarker2) - (16)
             It does work.... - (slugbug) - (13)
                 Re: It does work.... - (dmarker2) - (12)
                     do upgrade... - (slugbug) - (11)
                         Re: do upgrade... - (dmarker2) - (10)
                             Re: do upgrade... - (slugbug) - (9)
                                 Re: DONE - was 2.4.2-yp1 & 1.3.2 filesys - (dmarker2) - (8)
                                     But, but, but.... - (slugbug) - (7)
                                         Re: Tonite I did 12 reloads - (dmarker2)
                                         $64k question for you - r u ready ? - here goes ... - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                             well....er.....um..... - (slugbug) - (1)
                                                 Re: well....er.....um..... - (dmarker2)
                                         Now.. now ... - (Ashton) - (2)
                                             Re: Beast on its way c/o Amazon free mail - (dmarker2) - (1)
                                                 Wine-obsessed - the place still is. - (Ashton)
             Browser isn't passing hidden form fields back. - (admin) - (1)
                 Re: Browser isn't passing hidden form fields back. - (dmarker2)

All that did was remind me of the fruit in the "Sledgehammer" video by Peter Gabriel.
76 ms