IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New they call it Yahoo for a reason
I still maintain an old Yahoo mail account out of habit—it serves largely as the destination for not-quite spam; few friends call there anymore—but in consequence of its existence I regularly visit the Yahoo portal page, and occasionally click a news link. Alas, Yahoo permits its users to comment on current events, and after reviewing hundreds of these threads over the years I have to tell you that the average Yahoo commentator makes boxley on a bad day sound like Montaigne. I am dismayed and even a little frightened to know that such a level of sociopathy is so widespread in this savage republic of ours.

despairingly,
New Think about the incentive
Potentially millions of pageviews, but no community to speak of. Who are they commenting for? What do they get out of it? The only people who would comment there are the ones with something they desperately need to get out of their head.
--

Drew
New So...
We are back to Fuckin' Sale Salt Water Boxley?
New Re: Think about the incentive
Actually, I run a Yahoo group that banded together to save the Classic Groups style,
http://tech.groups.y...p/modsandmembers/ ,

and the commenting ability on various news released about Yahoo's changes, was one of the biggest things that allowed us to protest the treatment Groups were getting at the hands of those in charge...

Things like flagrant violation of privacy, making public private groups such as those that protected battered women's identies in serious flubs, and even worse.

Using that commenting ability and getting our story out into the non-Yahoo public by having it published by Liz Gannes on Gigaom.com,

http://gigaom.com/20...of-user-backlash/

enabled us to get the attention of the Vice President of Communities, I believe it was, and got the problems resolved quickly. The group still exists, and we are still attempting to preserve Classic Groups, but with the shake-ups at Yahoo lately, I'm not really sure what will happen in the future.

It was interesting to read in this thread though, that people were banned from their own E-mail, and etc. because of disagreements with the powers that be from Yahoo.

I became somewhat of a known "persona" known mostly by Nightowl >8# so that my signature alone told people I was the one who "took on Yahoo" and won the rights to keep groups. Personally though, it wasn't me alone, it was our entire group which consisted of some very important people from authors and lawyers to businessmen, programmers, and abuse advocates.

However, since achieving that small victory, Yahoo has now somehow "blocked" me from being able to comment on any of their News stories online. Interesting, and tricky to get around, but my group members are determined and are doing just that.

After all, Yahoo doesn't know EVERY ID from the group. ;)

Anyway, fascinating read about Yahoo, thanks.

sorry I've been absent so long, I've been handling the situation with my elderly parents and haven't been in here in months.

I would be interested in ANY news you find about Yahoo, as I am still the leader of that group, and it seems things are very confused about what will happen or not with it in the future.

Thanks again,

Brenda
Nightowl >8#

Bygone memories of a former age - an age of sites proudly displaying "Best of the Web June 1996" badges - kept warm and vertical by people who seem to think there's a business model in such mindless nostalgia. And, to be fair, there is. It's just not a very good one.
New Geocities 4EVER!!!11!11!!!one!11!
--

Drew
New About 3 years ago they censored an email to me
My GF (who is now my wife) was just starting to explore what she wanted.

It was innocuous. It was mild. It had maybe 1 or 2 explicit words.

And Yahoo said it failed their "standards", and kicked back a message if she did that again they'd ban her from her email.

Wow.

Move to gmail that day.
New Maybe I don't understand "common carrier safe harbor"
Because that sounds like it's inviting all kinds of trouble.
--

Drew
New Re: About 3 years ago they censored an email to me
Notwithstanding the fact that they deactivated my mail account and deleted its contents because I didn't log in for 4 months*, I just sent myself an email with the body text "fucking shit cunt felch santorum wank bollocks arse prick" with no problems.

*And nothing of value was lost, but still - a shitty thing to do, especially as it's a ruse to get you to subscribe to their fancy-pants "plus" account.

Other than Flickr, what's the point of Yahoo! any more?
New Backup
I have my Yahoo account as the secondary contact on most of my other accounts that have a slot for that.
--

Drew
New If you liken those go to naharnet
and check the comments there
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
     they call it Yahoo for a reason - (rcareaga) - (10)
         Think about the incentive - (drook) - (2)
             So... - (folkert)
             Re: Think about the incentive - (Nightowl)
         Re: they call it Yahoo for a reason - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Geocities 4EVER!!!11!11!!!one!11! -NT - (drook)
         About 3 years ago they censored an email to me - (crazy) - (3)
             Maybe I don't understand "common carrier safe harbor" - (drook)
             Re: About 3 years ago they censored an email to me - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Backup - (drook)
         If you liken those go to naharnet - (boxley)

Damn thing ate it's way out of the box it was in and lived in my closet for a month.
56 ms