http://politicalwire...ney_alliance.html
In an interview with Laura Ingraham, Newt Gingrich raised the possibility of creating an anti-Mitt Romney alliance with Rick Santorum.

Ingraham: Can you see a scenario under which the two of you would align together to try to defeat the establishment candidate, Mitt Romney?

Gingrich: Absolutely. Of course. I mean Rick and I have a 20-year friendship, we are both rebels, we both came into this business as reformers, we both dislike deeply the degree to which the establishment sells out the American people. We both think Washington has to be changed in very fundamental ways, and we have lots of things that fit together. And the thing that's interesting is if you take the votes, you add to that Perry and Bachmann, you begin to see the size of the conservative vote compared to Romney...if you take, you know, Santorum and Perry and Bachmann and Gingrich you get some sense of what a small minority Romney really represents.

I would read this as a trial balloon for the VP slot. It would a dangerous combination right now, as Gingrich's carry over would probably be enough to make Santorum the front runner for at least a while. Given his history, Santorum is likely a crash and burn once the full spotlight of being the front runner hits him, but you never know.

I'm more surprised that Gingrich is taking such an overtly anti-Romney position. From his current 4th place slot he could easily make a play for VP for any of the leading candidates. Of course, it may be that Romney has already rebuffed Gingrich and he is just moving down the charts.

Jay