IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New dry rot hit the speakers
turned the stereo on to have Christmas music in the background last week, but got nothing but badly distorted sound. Pulled off the foam covers to see that the foam rings that connect from the paper cone edges to the metal rims have deteriorated behind hope.

If this was the late 1970s, I could just truck on down to Radio Shack,get a repair kit, or 2 new woofers, and be back in business within the hour. Unfortunately, this is late 2011 and Radio Shack doesn't carry these items, even at their web site. So, using Google, I'm finding repair kits from companies all over the country, but none locally. Found 2 places that are local, but both seem to have gone out of business. This morning I finally found a retired audio engineer who repairs stereos and speakers as a paying hobby. In a week I hope to be back in the recliner enjoying my classic rock albums.

Gotta call the brother since his speakers, JBL L-100s, were purchased almost 10 years before mine. He may have the same problem also.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Good luck.
New Re: dry rot hit the speakers
http://www.parts-express.com/

Bought 10 inch drivers here that are pretty good.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New Around here, every 15 years or so . . .
. . I go down to Speaker City and get new 15 inch woofers. My midrange and tweeters have never failed. I'm still using the Klipsch designed slot loaded corner horns I built about 40 years ago - and I haven't heard anything that sounds better. They are so efficient they are perfectly happy with cheap woofers - max cone travel of a couple hundredths of an inch when someone pounds the base drum.

Disadvantages: you have to have corners - and they're moderately large. I don't mind that, they make a fine place to put my witch doctor accessories and supplies, incense burners, drums and what have you.
New And they're back
the local retired guy charged $25 cash per speaker to recone them. Put them back into the tower cabinets and they sound great. Depending upon local weather in future years, they should last long enough until I reach the point of not caring about them anymore.

Tested them by starting our with Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit In The Sky". Almost no other rock song has such a distinctive opening, except maybe Deep Purple's "Smoke On The Water".) Then followed up with Supertramp's "Crime Of The Century" album - on vinyl.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Well done.
My speakers were Vifa kits from years and years ago back when Vifa were still making drivers in Denmark. The cone and surround is plastic and rubber, not paper, and they still sound as good as when I first put them together.

But then, my Dad can recone speakers. :-) Though he knows someone a few suburbs away who will do it better. Currently Dad is trying to restore a valve radio from (we think) 1934. We can't even find a circuit and some bits don't make sense. And I'm getting an education in valve radio circuits...

Wade.

P.S. Valve = tube for those unfamiliar with the alternate terminology.
Static Scribblings http://staticsan.blogspot.com/
New Cool
I'm in the middle of bringing an Orpheus (Leslie 25) back to life. I'm going to have to wait for another paycheck cycle to be able to get the parts needed, but at this point I think I can safely say I'll have it going by the end of the first week in February. The amps in those things are great... really simple. I'm looking forward to plugging my guitar into it.
New Fine choices
I have them all.
And the lead-in to School is mind blowing.
I've re-bought Crime of the Century at least 5 times.
Expand Edited by crazy Jan. 9, 2012, 05:55:39 AM EST
     dry rot hit the speakers - (lincoln) - (7)
         Good luck. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Re: dry rot hit the speakers - (beepster) - (1)
             Around here, every 15 years or so . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         And they're back - (lincoln) - (3)
             Well done. - (static) - (1)
                 Cool - (jake123)
             Fine choices - (crazy)

BASICA required
149 ms