IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Pausing mouse pointer on XP VirtBox on OS X. Help?
I installed the latest Virtual Box on our 13" MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard. I installed the Guest Additions, too.

The VM is a 512MB one running XP Home that works fine running on a Windows 7 PC. It seems fine, but the mouse pointer will occasionally stop for a few seconds inside the VM. It's like some "pay attention to me NOWNOWNOW" interrupt is grabbing the VM's attention for a couple of seconds before letting go.

Oracle's forums don't seem very helpful in diagnosing the problem.

The mouse is a wireless Logitech mouse. There's also a MacAlly USB hub plugged into the MacBook Pro (it only has 2 USB ports and we have a USB keyboard, the wireless mouse and need to plug in memory sticks). Hmm. Maybe that's the problem - I recall similar issues with having "too many" USB thingies hanging off the Mac Mini...

Short of unplugging the USB hub, any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New You've hit the same...
Problem we had with VMware and our iMac, when we plugged the mouse in via a HUB...

Plug the mouse in directly into one port and every thing else on the hub.

Its what fixed it for us.

Keyboard doesn't need it and really the memory sticks don't really either.

I just think OSX plays games with USB ports from time to time if they have multiple devices on one USB port via a USB HUB.

Also, we purchase a REALLY nice HUB (a Belkin powered hub) which helped a bit before we switched the way we are now.

Only the mouse seems to have issues that way.

Edit:
Our mouse is a Logitech something or other wireless one.
Expand Edited by folkert Dec. 6, 2011, 11:25:33 PM EST
New Thanks.
I tried unplugging the hub. It didn't make a difference.

I unplugged the wireless USB transmitter for the mouse from the Mac and plugged in a corded USB mouse (another Logitech). It still hangs, but it's much less frequent using the corded mouse. (Plugging it in directly or via the hub didn't seem to matter.) That tells me that it may be a mouse driver or mouse brand issue.

Perhaps this is Apple's way of telling me to buy a Genuine Apple mouse... ;-)

Oh well.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Pausing mouse pointer on XP VirtBox on OS X. Help? - (Another Scott) - (2)
         You've hit the same... - (folkert) - (1)
             Thanks. - (Another Scott)

That takes the cake like the cake stole something.
68 ms