IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Pre-unity ubuntu
Yeah, that's the basic outline of my plan in a nutshell, just hoping to find out any gotchas I might run into.

Any insights into possibly using dump for this? That was recommended by a colleague... use dump over SSH to put it onto another machine, and then the same thing back onto the new hd.
New I've stayed away from "dump" for many years.
I never had a "nonrecoverable" from it, but I've had enough bad experience, as I'd rather not chance anything anymore.

Personally, I'd make a loopback writeable filesystem on another machine and and rsync everything from the laptop to the loopback filesystem.

Then when you've installed stuff grabs the stuff you need from the loopback filesystem. Or transfer the loopback filesystem to the new drive and mount it there and go and grab things as you need it.

There are indeed so many ways you can proceed, its not even funny. Easiest plan would be to have the drives both spinning on the same machine and copy from there.

But, anyway.
New Cool, thanks for the heads up.
     Linux system transfer question - (jake123) - (9)
         Possible different solution - (drook) - (4)
             Only has USB 1.1 - (jake123) - (3)
                 I thought firewire could handle that bandwidth? -NT - (drook) - (2)
                     Re: I thought firewire could handle that bandwidth? - (jake123) - (1)
                         Then get a new PC ... oh -NT - (drook)
         What do you have installed? - (folkert) - (3)
             Pre-unity ubuntu - (jake123) - (2)
                 I've stayed away from "dump" for many years. - (folkert) - (1)
                     Cool, thanks for the heads up. -NT - (jake123)

"Knowledge is power." - France is bacon.
77 ms