IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Better than this
We've already got a column that represents a binary value. We need to start tracking a new value that is currently one of two values, but may become several. I know! Let's alter the binary column to be an int that will contain codes that map to the cross product of all possible expected values. Because we don't want to add a new column and "waste" all that space.
--

Drew
New I guess I'm lucky.
My colleagues are not averse to adding another table or column. They also try to get the type as forward-compatible as is practical. Usually that means a new table plus a lookup. At least because they're not really used to MySQL we get a slightly atypical POV on the problem. Which I approve.

The biggest problem is handling brain-dead decisions made by previous programmers that are a PITA to fix. (Like using a TEXT field instead VARCHAR. And the table is 19 million rows. And ALTER TABLE on that in MySQL takes hours. We can't have the site down that long...)

Just don't get me started on JDBC rules. (Sometimes I hate Java nulls.)

Wade.
Static Scribblings http://staticsan.blogspot.com/
     Database Question. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
         Wow... that was deviant! - (folkert) - (8)
             Heh. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                 *Boggle* is entirely appropriate. - (static) - (6)
                     Better than this - (drook) - (1)
                         I guess I'm lucky. - (static)
                     I agree on the 200. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                         What is your update schedule? And will you be coding in it? - (crazy) - (2)
                             Nope. Happily I will not be directly involved in any of it. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 Smart move -NT - (crazy)
         OLTP? Not a data warehouse? -NT - (S1mon_Jester) - (1)
             Re: OLTP? Not a data warehouse? - (mmoffitt)